COMM 393 Phoenix Restorations Ltd. v. Brownlee Case Briefs
[2010] B.C.J. No. 2455
2010 BCSC 1749
76 B.L.R. (4th) 282
2010 CarswellBC 3372
Docket: S107276
British Columbia Supreme Court
Facts
Mr. Paul Brownlee is 33 years old. After signing a non-compete employment contract (Agreement) and
working for Phoenix Restorations Ltd for 4 years, he resigned and commenced employment at Belfor
Canada Inc.
Phoenix is a British Columbia corporation specializing in restorations from damage, having operated for 29
years. 0% of Phoei’s usiess oes for a ihe arket i the idustr, diretl fro propert
management companies. Phoenix is a leading provider of restoration services in the market.
o Two of Phoei’s ajor liets are Cros Propert Maageet Ltd ad Assertie Propert
Maageet, aoutig for 30% of Phoei’s usiess.
o 5% of Brolee’s ork as i the ihe arket, ad 0% of Brolee’s ork as for Cros
and Assertive
The insurance restoration business is highly competitive Belfor and Phoenix consider themselves
competitors
Brownlee signed three employment contracts with Phoenix during three promotions, all of which
contained non-competition and non-solicitation provisions
After commencing employment at Belfor, Brownlee was assigned to manage restoration projects, and has
visited the offices of Crosby and Assertive.
Phoenix seeks an injunction to enforce both non-compete and non-solicitation clauses to prevent
irreparable harm
Brownlee opposes on the grounds that the restrictive covenants are a restraint of trade, ambiguous, and
should not be enforced. Brownlee also specifies that he has worked in the industry in many years, and an
injunction would cause him significant hardship. If the covenants are enforceable, Brownlee seeks to pay
damages instead of having an injunction.
Issues
Is the non-competition clause enforceable?
Is the non-solicitation clause enforceable?
Should an injunction be granted?
Is payment of damages a fair remedy in this situation?
Reasons
Law: British Columbia A.G. v. Wale   B.C.L.R d , []  W.W.R  C.A., aff’d []  S.C.R 
in granting an injunction, the court must be satisfied that
o there is a fair question to be tried
o the balance of conveniences favours the granting of the injunction
Law: RJR-MacDonald Inc. v. Canada (A.G.), [1994] 1 S.C.R 331.
the test for an injunction is as follows
o whether the applicant has demonstrated that there is a serious question to be tried (or in certain
circumstances a strong prima facie case)
o whether the applicant will suffer irreparable harm if the injunction is not granted and
o whether the balance of convenience favours granting the injunction
a prolonged examination of the merits is not needed (not trying the actual case; only whether a fair
question exists is enough to pass the first test) unless:
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Facts: mr. paul brownlee is 33 years old. After signing a non-compete employment contract (agreement) and working for phoenix restorations ltd for 4 years, he resigned and commenced employment at belfor. Phoenix is a british columbia corporation specializing in restorations from damage, having operated for 29 years. (cid:1013)0% of phoe(cid:374)i(cid:454)"s (cid:271)usi(cid:374)ess (cid:272)o(cid:373)es for(cid:373) a (cid:374)i(cid:272)he (cid:373)arket i(cid:374) the i(cid:374)dustr(cid:455), dire(cid:272)tl(cid:455) fro(cid:373) propert(cid:455) management companies. Phoenix is a leading provider of restoration services in the market: two of phoe(cid:374)i(cid:454)"s (cid:373)ajor (cid:272)lie(cid:374)ts are cros(cid:271)(cid:455) propert(cid:455) ma(cid:374)age(cid:373)e(cid:374)t ltd a(cid:374)d asserti(cid:448)e propert(cid:455) Ma(cid:374)age(cid:373)e(cid:374)t, a(cid:272)(cid:272)ou(cid:374)ti(cid:374)g for 30% of phoe(cid:374)i(cid:454)"s (cid:271)usi(cid:374)ess: (cid:1013)5% of bro(cid:449)(cid:374)lee"s (cid:449)ork (cid:449)as i(cid:374) the (cid:374)i(cid:272)he (cid:373)arket, a(cid:374)d (cid:1012)0% of bro(cid:449)(cid:374)lee"s (cid:449)ork (cid:449)as for cros(cid:271)(cid:455) and assertive. Phoenix seeks an injunction to enforce both non-compete and non-solicitation clauses to prevent irreparable harm: brownlee opposes on the grounds that the restrictive covenants are a restraint of trade, ambiguous, and should not be enforced.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers