MICB 202 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Hospital-Acquired Infection, Subclinical Infection, Focal Infection Theory

49 views2 pages
11 Aug 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Disease-causing microorganisms constitute only a very small fraction of microbes. Infection: colonization of human body(host) by pathogenic bacteria. Disease: damage to the body that impairs function. Pathogenicity: ability of a bacterium to cause diseases (qualitative) Pathogen: bacterium capable of harming a normal host (defenses not compromised) Opportunistic pathogen: only capable of harming a compromised host (immunodeficiency, prior infection, disease, wound etc. ) Virulence: measure of the pathogenicity of a bacterium (quantitative) Secondary infection: a later infection caused by an opportunistic organism after a primary infection. Clinical infection: host exhibits signs and/or symptoms of disease. Iatrogenic: a result from surgery, diagnostic procedures or medical implants (doctor induced) I(cid:374)vasive(cid:374)ess: the ability of the orga(cid:374)is(cid:373) to i(cid:374)vade i(cid:374)to the host"s body. Local infection: small area of the body (non-invasive organisms) Focal infection: begins in a restricted area, then spreads throughout the body. Systemic (generalized) infection: spread throughout the body. Often disseminated throughout the body via the blood.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers