SOCI 250 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Moral Panic, Logical Reasoning, Observational Error

253 views3 pages
11 Feb 2017
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Ways of acquiring knowledge: logical reasoning limitations: limited knowledge, personal biases and ability to ignore contradictions in thinking process can undermine reasoning, authority. Factors that shape public perceptions of crime: personal knowledge inaccurate knowledge of crime trends and cjs* leads to negative view of crime trends (i. e. overestimating incidences of violent crimes) and low levels of satisfaction with cjs. Perceived risks of being victimized have helped lowered certain crime incidences (i. e. decrease in break ins due to increase use of home security de(cid:448)i(cid:272)es & te(cid:272)h (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h is a result of people"s per(cid:272)ei(cid:448)ed fear of (cid:271)ei(cid:374)g victims) One study even linked violent tv viewing to violent behavior in adulthood process known as vicarious reinforcement (children imitate behaviors seen on tv) Tv violence can also have negative effects on adults (i. e. desensitizing them to violence, making them more fearful, more aggressive etc) However, research on whether media exposure to crime leads to criminal behavior is inconsistent and therefore inconclusive.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers