POL200Y1 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1-12: Leviathan
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Picture on Title Page:
• Individual leader is the people
• Images of spiritual power
o Power of the church
• Purpose of the geese metaphor:
o Simple and impartial creatures
o Did not save people in power because they care
• Hobbes is going to defend whoever is in power
o Will defend the office of the sovereign
• Creation of leviathan
o Meant to be the commonwealth
o Created by people
o We can improve on nature through our art
• Things we want are objects of our passions
o If we want to understand ourselves, we must understand our passions
• Why does Hobbes speak on this?
o How we interact with the world
• Prison house of senses:
o Trapped in our bodies, senses give off the only truth that we know
o Can senses deceive us?
o Images that may not be there seem real
• Speech is the way we keep track of the effects we have seen
o Words are just naming we have agreed on for things
• Difference between man and beast:
o An animal can experience something and make connections
o Humans can figure out the cause and what else you can do with this cause
• Getting what you want
• Power is better than wealth
• What should we be using this power for?
o To meet our desires
• What happens when this is met?
▪ Able to meet new desires
▪ New power for new desires
o Leads to nothing
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version