BIOL 1001 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Heterozygote Advantage, Earlobe, Assortative Mating

49 views11 pages

Document Summary

The smooth normal is a kind of ideal. Both are normal distributions only difference is in variation. Always look with normal distribution: directional (which we"ve just considered, stabilizing, usual, disruptive, rarer (or destabilizing or diversifying or bidirectional ) Most common treatment of directional selection: saying that the individuals with the trait are being more successful in reproducing and this trait is becoming more common in the population. Another term: evidence of what we will soon call a fitness trade- off. In the cliff swallow example large size (cid:449)as i(cid:373)porta(cid:374)t for sur(cid:448)i(cid:448)i(cid:374)g the exte(cid:374)ded (cid:272)old s(cid:374)ap . ----> fitness reward in cold period: (cid:271)ut there is e(cid:448)ide(cid:374)(cid:272)e that shorter-winged cliff swallows are more maneuverable in flight, and they feed during flight. ----> this indicates fitness rewards for shorter wings (and hence smaller bodies) otherwise. One is more efficient in foraging (big bodies cannot maneuver well) Audio recording started: 1:30 pm wednesday, january 31, 2018: stabilizing selection.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers