Chapter 6 Household Behavior and Consumer Choice
The Determinants of Household Demand:
Price of the product
Income available to the household
Household’s aout of auulated ealth
Price of other products available to the household
Household’s tastes and preferences
Household’s epetatios aout futue ioe, ealth, ad pies
Budget constraint: limits imposed on household choice by income, wealth, and product prices
Choice set/opportunity set: the set of options that is defined and limited by a budget
constraint
Suppose Ann and Tom are two struggling grad students whose tuition is paid by the graduate
fellowships. The fellowships give them $200 each month to cover all their other expenses. To
siplif thigs, let’s assue that A ad Thoas sped their money on only two things: meals
a local Thai restaurant and nights out at a local jazz club. Their meals go for a fixed price of $20
per couple, and two tickets to the jazz club are $10.
The opportunity set is the shaded area in the above figure.
Cleal, oth pies ad ioe affet the size of a household’s oppotuit set. If a pie of a
set of prices falls but income stays the same, the opportunity set gets bigger and the household
is better off. We define real income as the set of opportunities to purchase real goods and
services. In this case, eal ioe ould’e goe up ee if the household’s ioe has ot.
On the other hand, when money income increases and prices go up even more, we say that the
household’s eal ioe has falle.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 8 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
The Equation of the Budget Constraint
The budget constraint equation for the above scenario would be 20X + 10Y = $200, with X
representing the number of Thai meals and Y representing the number of jazz club visits.
In general, the budget constraint can be written
PxX+ PyY = I,
with Px= price of X, X=quantity of X, Py=price of y, Y=quantity of Y, I=household income
Constraints Change When Prices Rise or Fall
Now suppose that Thai restaurants is offering two-for-one certificates good during the month
of November. In effect, this means that the price of Thai meals drops to $10 for Ann and Tom.
Basis of Choice: Utility
Utility: the satisfaction a product yields
Diminishing Marginal Utility
Marginal utility (MU): the additional satisfaction gained by the consumption or use of
one or more unit of a good or service
Total utility: the total amount of satisfaction obtained from consumption of a good or
service
Marginal utility comes only from the last unit consumed, total utility comes from all
units consumed
Law of diminishing marginal utility: the more of any one good consumed in a given
period, the less satisfaction (utility) generated by consuming each additional (marginal)
unit of the same good
Unlock document

Allocating Income to Maximize Utility
Assuming that admission to both the country music club and the basketball games is free.
Frank would go to a basketball game for the first night because according to column 3 of the
table, the game gives him far more satisfaction (21 utils) than a trip to the club (12 utils).
Fo the seod ight, Fak a eithe go to the lu o the gae eause sie he’s ee to a
basketball game, the second game is worth only 12 utils while the first club visit is worth an
eual aout  utils so he’s idiffeet aout where to go. “o he’ll split the et to ights:
one night he sees a basketball ball game number two (12 utils); the other night he spends at the
club (12 utils). At this point, Frank has been to two games and one club. He would go to the club
again because the marginal utility of a second trip to the club (10 utils) is greater than that of a
third game (9 utils).
Unlock document

Document Summary

Income available to the household: price of the product, household"s a(cid:373)ou(cid:374)t of a(cid:272)(cid:272)u(cid:373)ulated (cid:449)ealth, price of other products available to the household, household"s tastes and preferences, household"s e(cid:454)pe(cid:272)tatio(cid:374)s a(cid:271)out futu(cid:396)e i(cid:374)(cid:272)o(cid:373)e, (cid:449)ealth, a(cid:374)d p(cid:396)i(cid:272)es. Budget constraint: limits imposed on household choice by income, wealth, and product prices. Choice set/opportunity set: the set of options that is defined and limited by a budget constraint. Suppose ann and tom are two struggling grad students whose tuition is paid by the graduate fellowships. The fellowships give them each month to cover all their other expenses. To si(cid:373)plif(cid:455) thi(cid:374)gs, let"s assu(cid:373)e that a(cid:374)(cid:374) a(cid:374)d tho(cid:373)as spe(cid:374)d their money on only two things: meals a local thai restaurant and nights out at a local jazz club. Their meals go for a fixed price of per couple, and two tickets to the jazz club are . The opportunity set is the shaded area in the above figure.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers