BIOL 1201 Chapter : Biol 1201 Ch 3 Outline

9 views8 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Dr. steven pomarico (room 107 life science building-notes!!) >>>>>some of the most biologically important polar covalent bonds are the bonds in water molecules. The polarity of water molecules makes water a good solvent for molecules that have charged regions (i. e. polar molecules) or atoms that are charged (i. e. have charged regions (i. e. polar molecules) or atoms that are charged (i. e. ions) If water reacts better with the solvent, then it will dissolve easier. Water is a very versatile solvent (see fig. --solution: liquid that is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances. Ex: putting sugar in iced tea; sugar: solute. Because of these polar covalent bonds water is a polar molecule. This is an example of an emergent property. Partial charge interacting with partial + charge. Water"s polarity along with the hydrogen bonding can organize water molecules into a higher level of structural order (see fig. This higher structural order and polarity results in some other extraordinary emergent properties:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers