CMST 1150 Chapter : Introdction To Performance Studies

6 views7 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Course
Professor
Introdction to Performance Studies (Ch.1)
1. The field of performamce studies is wide open because it consists of many voices. Anything can
studied as performance, everything has performance qualities. Even if a “performer” is not
dancing or putting on a show, there’s still something for us to watch.
a. For instance, a juniper tree performs for hikers with its majestic beauty. Stars perform
for stargazers who are star struck.
2. Richard Schechner; human values are not given from nature rather we gain human values are
given to us through our culture. Our social agreement and social environment cause us to
define our values.
a. Example of Social Agreement, Americans tend to do “American” things
3. 7 Basic assumptions of Performance Studies
a. Examines Behavior as an object study
i. Our behaviors are a form of performance. How we feel is how we act
b. Performance Study involves doing performance
i. Rituals can include brushing our teeth and making dinner every day. Rituals
add structure to our lives. Change can also occur through rituals.
c. Participant Observation
i. One participates while one observes
d. Frequently involved in social practices and advocacy
Performance of Literature
Analysis of Content: Intellectual and Emotive Aspects
Theories About Symbolic Activity
3 Theories Symbolic Interactionism, Kenneth Burke’s Dramatism, and Narrative Theory
George Hebert Mead’s Symbolic Interactionism
Mind is the belief that we were born with a self or mind (tabula rasa) and it is defined as the
ability to use symbols having common social meanings. We weren’t born with these common social
meanings, the knowledge was taught through social interactions. Certain symbols have different
meanings based on experiences. Each culture values the various of words.
Self is the ability to reflect on ourselves from other perspectives. Self is also not something we
are born with.
The Looking Glass Self develops our self’s based on how others react to us or view us. How we
perceive others to view us are lenses for how we view ourselves. We act one way, they react another
giving us a sense of who we are.
The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy is individuals living up to labels others impose on them. Example,
people who believe they are unattractive even though they are. People who think they are not
intelligent even though they may be very bright. How others see us can be so powerful that it dictates
our own perceptions of self.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
I and Me our ability to both act and observe ourselves in the process of acting. I is ourselves as
a subject. It is creative, spontaneous, impulsive, and source of both creative genius & individuality. Also,
of criminal & immortal behavior. Me is ourselves as an object. It is analytical, evaluative, aware of social
rules/expectations. The conscious part who reflects on I’s impulses. Although they are both extremely
different, they both work together to guide us through life. Example, I may want to skinny dip at a
crowded beach but ME reminds ourselves that it is socially unacceptable to do so.. These two
complement each other rather than oppose. Me edits and channels I’s creativity to not cause chaos and
I keeps ME from us becoming overly boring and carbon copies of each other.
Role Taking is internalizing others perspectives and viewing our experiences through their
perspective.
Particular others are individuals who are significant to us. To most particular others would be
considered family members. Followed by friends, boy/girlfriend, & co workers become significant
people in our lives. Over time we learn how these individuals deal with events and their perspective on
life. We tend to use their view of world to guide our own actions and life.
Leon Festinger’s Social Comparison Theory explains how individuals evaluate their own opinions
and abilities by comparing themselves to others in order to reduce uncertainty in these domains, and
learn how to define the self. Therefore, we try to compare ourselves to our friends, are we as social as
them? We compare ourselves to co-workers, do I work as hard as he/she? This can explain why we
choose friends or friends at work who are similar to us. It helps one to identify themselves by evaluating
the ones they choose to interact with.
Generalized others is using the perspective of a general group, community, or society as a
whole. Give us a sense of how society works. We also tend to get a sense of what society expects from
us based on social media.
Particular Others we choose friends who are similar because we understand their perspectives
or we choose them because we appreciate their perspectives. Relationships have both strong
similarities and differences.
Generalized Others - When internalized, we learn how to act around certain people, or
communities of people. Example, be sure to say hello to everyone in a small town or you’ll be frowned
upon. In a larger city, however, people may see this as over friendly.
Narrative Theory
Walter Fisher’s Theory the theory that humans are natural storytellers. We are story telling
animals. To make our experiences intelligible we wesve discrete events and experiences together into
coherent wholes that have all the features of stories; a plot; characters; action; a sequences of
beginning, middle, and end; and a climax.
This theory is known as the Narrative Paradigm proposed by Walter Fisher that all meaningful
communication is a form of storytelling or giving a report of events (see narrative), and that human
beings experience and comprehend life as a series of ongoing narratives, each with its own conflicts,
characters, beginning, middle, and end.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Introdction to performance studies (ch. 1: the field of performamce studies is wide open because it consists of many voices. Anything can studied as performance, everything has performance qualities. Even if a performer is not dancing or putting on a show, there"s still something for us to watch: for instance, a juniper tree performs for hikers with its majestic beauty. Stars perform for stargazers who are star struck: richard schechner; human values are not given from nature rather we gain human values are given to us through our culture. How we feel is how we act: performance study involves doing performance, rituals can include brushing our teeth and making dinner every day. Change can also occur through rituals: participant observation, one participates while one observes, frequently involved in social practices and advocacy. 3 theories symbolic interactionism, kenneth burke"s dramatism, and narrative theory.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers