ECON 1116 Chapter Notes - Chapter 16: Economic Surplus, Externality, Monopolistic Competition

45 views4 pages

Document Summary

Biggest differentiation between products: the only characteristic share with a monopoly, each individual firm has its own downward sloping demand curve c. i. If four big firms own 75% of the market: perfect competition concentration ratio is very small c. i. Top four firms are a very small part of the market: monopoly concentration ratio is very high d. i. One firm owns 100% of the shares: oligopoly fairly concentrated e. i. Top four firms would make up greater than 70% e. ii. Firms are so big that if the top four firms go together, it has potential to become a monopoly: monopolistic competitors f. i. Zero economic profit due to free entry and exit e. ii. Efficient scale of the firm quantity that minimizes atc a. ii. Long run (perfectly competitive markets) produces at the efficient scale a. iii. Long run (monopolistic competitive) produces at a quantity below this level a. iii. 1. a. iii. 2. Excess capacity firm could increase quantity produced and lower atc.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers