Ch. 23 Notes: Is Globalization Reducing Poverty and Inequality
Robert Hunter Wade
• The neoliberal argues that the distribution of income between all the world’s people has
become more equal over the past two decades and the number of people living in
poverty has dropped. They argue this is a result of the rising density of economic
integration between countries.
• The standard Left assumes the rich and powerful countries and classes have little
interest in greater equity.
• Regional variation within the global south is large
• Neoliberals say both poverty and inequality have both dropped
1. World income distribution has become rapidly more unequal, when incomes are
measured at market exchange rates and expressed in