PHSC 7 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Justifiable Homicide, Public Philosophy, Public Health

48 views3 pages
Public Health & Ethics Chapter 3 Notes
- Role of government in public health
o As early as ancient Rome
Sanitation
Management of epidemics
o Early English law
oserig the puli’s health as reogized as oe of the ore
resposiilities of the goeret
o Colonial U.S.
Act of quarantine passed in 1648
the asis of goeret as a ipliit soial otrat i hih the
individual and the state were bound by reciprocal obligations, which
required government to serve the common good and promote the
geeral elfare
o Balance between government intervention in health and personal civil liberties
- Legal guidelines
o Legal priiples typially ahored i our atio’s ultural ad oral traditios
that illuminate our political values and public philosophy and inform ethical
delieratio, aalysis, ad justifiatio of poliies ad deisios i puli health
- Proposals for new interventions must contain:
o Reasons for such interventions
o Data about the significance of the problem and the effectiveness of the
intervention
o Benefits, harms, and fairness of intervention
- Las authorize ad ostrai oth puli ad priate atio
o Public: rights and restrictions of government
o Private: maintain individual liberty
o Example: tobacco control minimizes individual rights or smokers and promotes
rights of the public to live healthy, smoke-free lives
- Legal action and ethics are both used to determine the need and goals of public health
actions and to determine if legal intervention is required
- Different levels of legal intervention: some broader like stopping at red lights, some
more specific like immunization requirements
- Influenced by cultural norms and values
Public Health Ethics
- Draw on moral norms, values, and professional codes
- proides a ogoig systeati approah to assess ad proide justifiatios for hat
should be done within the boundaries allowed by the law, or alternatively how the law
should e haged
Social values and law continue to evolve over time
Need to understand legal authority in reference to social context
- Relevant legal cases, laws, and regulations, limitations and constraints
- Laws set guidelines for how government authority can and should be implemented
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Legal guidelines: legal pri(cid:374)(cid:272)iples (cid:862)typi(cid:272)ally a(cid:374)(cid:272)hored i(cid:374) our (cid:374)atio(cid:374)"s (cid:272)ultural a(cid:374)d (cid:373)oral traditio(cid:374)s that illuminate our political values and public philosophy and inform ethical deli(cid:271)eratio(cid:374), a(cid:374)alysis, a(cid:374)d justifi(cid:272)atio(cid:374) of poli(cid:272)ies a(cid:374)d de(cid:272)isio(cid:374)s i(cid:374) pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) health(cid:863) Legal action and ethics are both used to determine the need and goals of public health actions and to determine if legal intervention is required. Different levels of legal intervention: some broader like stopping at red lights, some more specific like immunization requirements. Draw on moral norms, values, and professional codes (cid:862)pro(cid:448)ides a(cid:374) o(cid:374)goi(cid:374)g syste(cid:373)ati(cid:272) approa(cid:272)h to assess a(cid:374)d pro(cid:448)ide justifi(cid:272)atio(cid:374)s for (cid:449)hat should be done within the boundaries allowed by the law, or alternatively how the law should (cid:271)e (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ged(cid:863) Social values and law continue to evolve over time. Need to understand legal authority in reference to social context. Relevant legal cases, laws, and regulations, limitations and constraints. Laws set guidelines for how government authority can and should be implemented.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers