Barkan, Chapter, pp.60-78 (Crime Trends)
• Victimization has gone down the last 30 years
• Violent crimes include murder, rape, assault and robbery.
• Property crimes include larceny, motor vehicle theft and arson.
• Property crimes rates has decreased but not as drastic as violent crime decrease.
• Crime rates vary according to location, season, and climate.Also demographic factors
such as gender, race, and social class. Geographical Patterns
• US has the highest homicide rate of any western democratic nation
• According to the UCR the south and west have the highest rates of crime and the
Northeast and Midwest have the lowest
• Urban areas have higher crime rates
• Violent crime is generally higher in the warmer months (July andAugust)
-People go on vacation
-Schools are out so there are more teens out -warmer temperatures can cause tempers to
• Crime Rates are higher on the first of the month because there is more opportunity and
people get paid and social security checks.
• Gender and crime
- Women’s crime rates are much lower than men
- There is a police bias, they may not think women are as dangerous as men and women
are seen as the caretakers of the family and have children.
-We raise boys to be active, assertive, dominant, and to “fight like a man”
-We raise girls to be less assertive, less dominant, and more gentle and nurturing.
-Parents monitors daughters behaviors more than their sons, there for boys have more
-Girls have fewer ties to delinquent peers.
-Women’s crime rates are rising because more and more women are working therefore