BIO 111 Chapter Notes - Chapter 43: Interspecific Competition, Intraspecific Competition, Niche Differentiation

67 views3 pages
10 Aug 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

43. 1 interactions between species may increase, decrease, or have no effect on fitness. Interspecific interactions interactions between different species that often effect the i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)ed i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals" fit(cid:374)ess. 43. 2 interactions within and among species affect population dynamics and species. Populatio(cid:374) gro(cid:449)th rate = a(cid:448)erage i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s (cid:272)o(cid:374)tri(cid:271)utio(cid:374) * (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)er of i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals. Intraspecific competition mutually detrimental interactions among members of the same species that occur because they use the same limiting resources. Carrying capacity the maximum number of individuals in a species that one area can sustain. Interspecific interactions affect population dynamics and can lead to extinction: whenever there is a competitor, the overall growth rate for both falls below what they could have done alone, extinction is possible for one competitor. Interspecific interactions can affect species distributions: species distributions might be due to other species that take a different area. 43. 3 species are embedded in complex interaction webs.