BIOL 180 Chapter Notes - Chapter 14: Gouache, Genetic Recombination, Theodor Boveri

19 views4 pages
15 Apr 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor
jc123 and 40170 others unlocked
BIOL 180 Full Course Notes
BIOL 180 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
93 documents

Document Summary

Walter sutton & theodor boveri realized meiosis could explain mendel"s rules. Explains principle of independent assortment and principle of segregation. Other for wrinkled seeds: these alleles also segregate into different daughter cells during meiosis i, when homologous chromosomes separate. Physical allele separation during anaphase of meiosis i. If alleles for different genes are on different chromosomes, they assort independently of one another at meiosis i: physical basis for independent assortment. Over many meiotic divisions, four types of gametes will be produced in equal proportions. Chromosome theory of inheritance - mendel"s rules can be explained by the independent alignment and separation of homologous chromosomes at meiosis i. Sutton and boveri"s hypothesis that genes are located on chromosomes was untested. Possible to identify interesting phenotype variation among individuals: doesn"t have common phenotypic variants like mendel and his round/wrinkled seeds. Thomas hunt morgan instead had access only to flies with most common phenotype for each trait.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers