HLT 1353 Chapter Notes - Chapter 7: Prescription Drug, Circulatory Collapse, Peer Pressure

51 views14 pages

Document Summary

Inability to recognize significant risk or other problems: cycles of relapse and remission. What is addiction: addiction: a (cid:272)hro(cid:374)i(cid:272) disease that i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)es disruptio(cid:374) of the (cid:271)rai(cid:374)"s s(cid:455)ste(cid:373)s related to reward, motivation, and memory, biological, psychological, and social effects associated with pathologically pursuing pleasure or relief by substance use and other behaviors. Tolerance: body adapts to a drug so that the initial dose no longer produces the original emotional or psychological effects: user has to take larger and larger doses of a drug to achieve the same high. Substance misuse: use of a substance that is not consistent with medical or legal guidelines. Illegal drugs: prescription drugs in greater-than-prescribed amounts, a(cid:374)other perso(cid:374)"s pres(cid:272)riptio(cid:374) drug, legal substance (alcohol) in an unsafe manner, misuse vs. abuse: depe(cid:374)ds o(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s i(cid:374)te(cid:374)t. The development of addiction: reinforcement leads to an increasing dependence on the behavior. Tolerance develops: combination of factors: personality, lifestyle, heredity, social and physical environment, nature of substance/behavior.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers