Department
Management
Course Code
MGMT 463
Professor
Reneta Tarasievich
Chapter
1-8

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Mursila Murtaza-MGMT 463-Reneta Tarasievich
Individual Assignment 1
Not everything is negotiable, and it is correct to some extent. However, you can negotiate or say
no to everything in this world; yet, the negotiation might become meaningless due to lack of
options many times. Therefore, the correct saying would be that not everything gives an option
of negotiation, otherwise everything is negotiable. Negotiation occurs when a conflict of interest
occurs in any situation. Both parties desire different outcomes. Let’s imagine, I visit Walmart
and find a pack of chocolate priced as $5. I find it expensive and ask a Sales Associate to reduce
its price. I can spend hours negotiating the price of that chocolate, although we all know that they
wouldn’t reduce the price. Thus, the negotiation is pointless or this item isn’t negotiable, so we
can assume not everything is negotiable. My point is that we can negotiate on everything, but we
choose not to. I can negotiate with my husband to make him stay at home and baby sit my baby,
and let me work. I know that this is never going to happen; thus, I choose not to negotiate about
this. Basically, we don’t want to fight or negotiate on everything, consequently, we believe that
not everything is negotiable.
Secondly, I believe that the concept of non-negotiability is not different for left and right brain
individuals. Researches have been done that prove that right and left brain dominance theory is a
myth. It is just the nature of a person which makes people think differently in different situations.
It is true that both sides of brain control different functions, yet there is no valid proof of their
dominance on one another. People prefer to use some emotions more than others; however, this
doesn’t mean that they are left or right brained. Therefore, non-negotiability has a connection
with the nature and preferences of a person but not to their brain dominance.
Conflict is a communication function. Communication occurs when two parties don’t express
themselves in a similar manner, or as stated by Barbara A. Budjac Corvette “wherever and
whenever there is an incompatibility of cognitions or emotions within individuals or between
individuals” (Corvette 34). This is communication that might arise or resolve conflict. Suppose,
if there is a decision pending for a retail store that if they should introduce a restaurant to expand
their product line or not. The CEO is in favor of that, but other partners and main stakeholders
don’t see a bright future of this thought. Now, the CEO would explain his thoughts, provide
reasoning’s, etc. or in other words negotiate with the stakeholders to convince them. The
stakeholders would convey their point by providing their analysis. But, if they didn’t
communicate, would they ever be able to negotiate? This process of negotiation cannot occur
without communication.
Let’s consider an example when avoiding a conflict could be a way of resolving it. Two
employees had a fight during their work time, and other employees want the manager to resolve
the issue. However, the manager knows that both the employees are supported by a group of
other employees. Therefore, the manager decides to avoid this conflict and expects time to
resolve this issue. Involvement of the manager could have resulted in opposition against his
views or could have possibly resolved the fight too, but his ignorance can improve the matter
too. Most of the times, bringing opposition in front of each other increases the fight rather than
solving it.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version