ECON 101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Invisible Hand, Market Economy, Market Failure

36 views2 pages
22 Sep 2016
Department
Course

Document Summary

Principle 1: people face trade-offs: to get something we want, we must give up something in return, trade off between efficiency and equality. Principle 2: cost of something is what you give up: opportunity costs a. i. What you give up to get an item. Principle 3: rational people think at the margin: marginal change. Small incremental adjustment to an existing plan of action: people make decisions based on marginal benefits and marginal costs. Principle 5: trade can make everyone better off. Principle 6: markets good way to organize economic activity: market economy a. i. Free market households and firms are in charge: adam smith b. i. Households and firms interacting in markets act as if they are guided by an. Invisible hand; that leads them to desirable market outcomes. Principle 7: gov"ts can improve market outcome: gov"ts role a. i. Invisible hand only works if gov"t enforces rules essential to the market economy. a. i. 1.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers