RELS 3714 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Social Fact, Fokker E.Ii

234 views2 pages

Document Summary

Durkheim intro: considered founder of sociology a. i. Championed central importance of society: a. i. 1. a. i. 2. a. i. 3. Nature of society is most suitable and promising subject for systematic investigation at present time b. i. 2. Social facts should be investigated by most purely objective scientific methods attainable c. The totality of beliefs and sentiments common to average members of society c. ii. Makes sure certain norms, constructs, and rules live on generations after their conception: religious beliefs and concepts defined d. i. Its concept of the sacred-set apart as superior, powerful, forbidden to normal contact, deserving of great respect d. iii. Things in the world divided into sacred and profane d. iii. 1. Profane-mundane, every day, usual: most basic form of religion e. i. Natural instinct of human race, its logical responses to the world as different people encounter it e. ii. This is similar to m ller and tylor"s theories. Durkheim and ethnographic research: based off aboriginal tribes in australia a. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers