ADV 319 Chapter Notes - Chapter 17: Compulsive Buying Disorder, Compulsive Behavior, Marketing Ethics

69 views10 pages
15 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Chapter 17: marketing, ethics, and social responsibility in today"s consumer society. When marketers and consumers make decisions, they often face potentially conflicting priorities and outcomes, and attempting to resolve these conflicts can raise ethical issues. Focusing on our own immediate self-interest may actually increase our happiness. Focusing on the future interest of others may increase our sense of satisfaction or be congruent with our self-concept as someone who is altruistic or charitable. If we focus concretely on people close to us, our decision may be framed as concerning me versus we. If our focus is more abstract, such as on strangers or society at large, the decision may be framed as me versus them. When marketers make decisions, they may focus on me, meaning their own professional or personal goals. Focusing on the interests of others may frame the decision as me or we (the brand, product, company, or coworkers) or me and them (competitors or others outside the organization.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers