S W 333 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, Psychoanalysis, Gestalt Therapy

93 views2 pages
19 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Chapter 4: Theories and Techniques of Group Counseling
Technical integration tends to focus on differences, uses techniques drawn from many
approaches and is based on a systematic selection of techniques
Theoretical integration refers to a conceptual or theoretical creation beyond a mere blending of
techniques
The following guidelines are used in practice to increase the effectiveness of techniques or any
structures exercises that we might introduce in a group session:
Techniques used have a therapeutic purpose and are grounded in some theoretical
framework
Techniques (and exercises) are presented in an invitational manner; members are given
the freedom either to participate in or to skip a given experiment
Techniques are introduced in a timely and sensitive manner and are abandoned if they
are not working
Tehiues ae odified so that they ae suitale fo the liet’s ultual ad ethi
background
Participants have an opportunity to share their reactions to the techniques used
The liet’s self-exploration and self-understanding is fostered
Four general categories of counseling theories:
Psychodynamic approaches stress insight in therapy (psychoanalytic and Adlerian
therapy)
Experiential and relationship-oriented approaches stress feelings and subjective
experiencing (existential, person-centered, Gestalt therapy and psychodrama)
Cognitive behavioral approaches stress the role of thinking and doing and tend to be
action-oriented (behavior therapy, cognitive therapy, rational emotive behavior therapy
and reality therapy)
Postmodern approaches stress understanding the subjective world of the client and
tap existing resources for change within the individual (solution-focused brief-therapy,
narrative therapy, and feminist therapy)
Psychoanalytic therapy is based largely on insight, unconscious motivation and reconstruction
of the personality
Adlerian therapy differs from psychoanalytic theory in many respects but it can broadly be
considered from a psychodynamic perspective
Multiple transferences that provide for reenacting past unfinished events, especially when
othe ees stiulate suh itese feeligs i a idividual that he o she sees i the
some significant figure
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class