Department
Communication
Course Code
COM 1040
Professor
Martha L.Antolik
Chapter
13-15

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
COM 1040 P a t c h e t t | 1
KEY TERM DEFINITIONS
Chapter 13
Concurrent media use Use of two or more media systems simultaneously
Technological Determinism Belief that technologies determine social structure, cultural values,
and even how people think (compare with social shaping of technology and social construction
of technology)
Social Construction of Technology Belief that people determine the development of
technology and ultimately determine social structure and cultural value (compare with social
shaping of technology and technological determinism)
Social Shaping of Technology belief that both people and technologies exert influence on
social structure and cultural values (compare with social construction of technology and
technological determination)
Socialization Impact of Media depictions of relationships in media provide models of behavior
that inform people about how to engage in relationships
Media Equation People use the same social rules and expectations when interacting with
technology as they do with other people
Parasocial Relationships relationships established with media characters and personalities
Media Literacy The learned ability to access, interpret, and evaluate media products
Technology and Media Profile A compilation of your technology and media preferences and
general use of technology and media; informs others about who you are as a person or at least the
persona you are trying to project
Relational Technologies such technologies as cellphones, iPods, and PDAs whose use has
relational functions and implications in society and within specific groups
Technology and Media Generations Those differentiated by unique technology grammar and
consciousness based on the technological and media environment in which they are born
Micro coordination The unique management of social interaction made possible through cell
phones
Core Ties People with whom you have a very close relationship and are in frequent contact; a
person often discusses important matters in life with these people and often seeks their assistance
in times of need (compare with significant ties)
Significant Ties people who are more than mere acquaintances but with whom a strong
connection does not exist; a person is not overly likely to talk with these people or seek help
from these people, but they are still there when needed

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
COM 1040 P a t c h e t t | 1 KEY TERM DEFINITIONS Chapter 13 Concurrent media use – Use of two or more media systems simultaneously Technological Determinism – Belief that technologies determine social structure, cultural values, and even how people think (compare with social shaping of technology and social construction of technology) Social Construction of Technology – Belief that people determine the development of technology and ultimately determine social structure and cultural value (compare with social shaping of technology and technological determinism) Social Shaping of Technology – belief that both people and technologies exert influence on social structure and cultural values (compare with social construction of technology and technological determination) Socialization Impact of Media – depictions of relationships in media provide models of behavior that inform people about how to engage in relationships Media Equation – People use the same social rules and expectations when interacting with technology as they do with other people Parasocial Relationships – “relationships” established with media characters and personalities Media Literacy – The learned ability to access, interpret, and evaluate media products Technology and Media Profile – A compilation of your technology and media preferences and general use of technology and media; informs others about who you are as a person or at least the persona you are trying to project Relational Technologies – such technologies as cellphones, iPods, and PDAs whose use has relational functions and implications in society and within specific groups Technology and Media Generations – Those differentiated by unique technology grammar and consciousness based on the technological and media environment in which they are born Micro coordination – The unique management of social interaction made possible through cell phones Core Ties – People with whom you have a very close relationship and are in frequent contact; a person often discusses important matters in life with these people and often seeks their assistance in times of need (compare with significant ties) Significant Ties – people who are more than mere acquaintances but with whom a strong connection does not exist; a person is not overly likely to talk with these people or seek help from these people, but they are still there when needed COM 1040 P a t c h e t t | 2 Synchronous Communication – Communication in which people interact in real time and can at once both send and receive messages (contrast with asynchronous communication) Asynchronous Communication – Communication in which there is a slight or prolonged delay between the message and they response; the interactants must alternate between sending and receiving messages (contrast with synchronous communication) Emoticons – text-based symbols used to express emotions online, often to alleviate problems associated with a lack of nonverbal cues Chapter 14 Attitudes – learned predispositions to evaluate something in a positive or negative way that guides people’s thinking and behavior Beliefs – What a person holds to be true or false Values – Deeply held and enduring judgements of significance or importance that often provide the basis for both beliefs and attitudes Given Belief – A belief that the majority of people in an audience will view as either true or false Speech to Convince – a speech delivered in an attempt to impact audience thinking; encompasses a primary claim, or essentially what the speaker is trying to convince the audience to believe Claim of Policy – A claim maintaining that a course of action should or should not be taken Claim of Value – A claim maintaining that something is good or bad, beneficial or detrimental, or another evaluative criterion Claim of Facts – A claim maintaining that something is true or false Claim of Conjecture – A claim maintaining that something will be true or false in the future Speech to Actuate – A speech that is delivered in an attempt to impact audience behavior Foot-In-The-Door Technique – Sequential method of persuasion that involves making a small request and then following up with a second, larger request Door-In-Th
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit