BIOL122 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Urinary Retention, Asthma, Bronchiole

45 views3 pages
27 Aug 2018
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Tanya suggested that you mainly need to know metformin) A drug that increases the body"s sensitivity to insulin. A common drug given to type 2 diabetics. Can be given to people who are overweight or to children as young as 10. It"s the only hypoglycemic drug proven to lower mortality. Some trials suggest it can treat infertility associated with polycystic ovary disease, prostate cancer and gestational diabetes. Stimulate insulin secretion (require some working pancreatic beta cells) Used to treat severe hypoglycemia (really low blood glucose levels). It activates hepatic glucose production (makes the liver produce glucose). Increases glucose uptake and utilisation by muscle cells. Inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis (stops liver from producing glucose) Opposes glucagon action (prevents stored glucose from being released) I(cid:373)proves the (cid:271)ody(cid:859)s i(cid:374)suli(cid:374) se(cid:374)sitivity (cid:271)y i(cid:374)(cid:272)reasi(cid:374)g the number of insulin receptors and by increasing affinity of the insulin already present in your body (it works better) Has a 3 hour half life (works for 3 hours)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers