PY1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Long-Term Memory, Procedural Memory, Clive Wearing

58 views1 pages
What type of amnesia does Clive suffer from?
What central memory does Clive retain?
Damage to his hippocampus affects his ability to transfer memories from his short term
memory to long term memory, he lacks the ability to form new memories and cannot
recall aspects of his past memory
Was there eidee to hether Clie’s:
…sesor register of eor as still futioig?
- Yes as he is able to converstate for 7-30 seconds until he forgets
…short ter eor as still futioig?
- Yes as he can respond but will soon forget what he said
…log ter eor as still futioig?
- No as he a’t reeer athig loger tha 30 seods.
Thik aout Clie’s log ter eor. Did he see to hae a:
…epliit/delaratie log ter eor?
- No he could not recall past events within short terms, however he could remember his wife
and that he had children, he also continuously believes he has just seen her after a long time
…ipliit/proedural log ter eor?
- He could still play the piano so his procedural memory worked still being able to
unconsciously use his skills
…seati log ter eor?
- Yes he had sematic knowledge
…episodi log ter koledge?
- He did not have any episodic long term memory where he could recall times, places,
associated emotions etc.
What has the case of Clive Wearing taught us about memory systems?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Damage to his hippocampus affects his ability to transfer memories from his short term memory to long term memory, he lacks the ability to form new memories and cannot recall aspects of his past memory. Yes as he is able to converstate for 7-30 seconds until he forgets. Yes as he can respond but will soon forget what he said. No as he (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t re(cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)er a(cid:374)(cid:455)thi(cid:374)g lo(cid:374)ger tha(cid:374) 30 se(cid:272)o(cid:374)ds. No he could not recall past events within short terms, however he could remember his wife and that he had children, he also continuously believes he has just seen her after a long time. He could still play the piano so his procedural memory worked still being able to unconsciously use his skills. He did not have any episodic long term memory where he could recall times, places, associated emotions etc.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers