MGMT20001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Job Satisfaction, Organizational Culture, Femininity

91 views4 pages
Values, Attitudes and Behaviour
Values
Values are enduring personal beliefs about what is important or valuable
Expression of the “right way” to behave to support a preferred set of social arrangements
(e.g. social or moral values such as honesty, fairness)
Values can be characterised in terms of their:
Intensity (e.g. level of significance/importance)
Content (e.g. terminal or instrumental values)
From Values to Attitudes
Values provide the normative basis for attitudes (i.e. criteria against which we judge the
object, person or event and form an attitude about it)
Attitudes:
Evaluate statement about an object, person or event
A persistent tendency to feel and behave in a particular way towards something
Attitudes are characterised by their persistence, valance and direction
Attitudes include three components that are theoretically distinct but in reality, difficult to
separate:
1. Emotional Component: positive or negative feeling (e.g. good/bad, like/dislike)
Example: I like/dislike my job
Example: I don’t like my job
2. Informational Component: Judgements about the object, person, event based on our
values and beliefs
Example: My job does/does not provide me with the opportunity to do interesting
and meaningful work
Example: Night Shifts interfere with my family life and I dislike anything that hurts
my family
3. Behavioural Component: When we hold an attitude we tend to act consistently in a
certain way
Example: I will/ will not seek alternative employment
Example: I’m going to speak with my boss to change to a day shift. If this is
unsuccessful I will search for a new job
Consistent values leads to our attitudes being reasonably consistent
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Values are enduring personal beliefs about what is important or valuable. Expression of the right way to behave to support a preferred set of social arrangements (e. g. social or moral values such as honesty, fairness) Values can be characterised in terms of their: Values provide the normative basis for attitudes (i. e. criteria against which we judge the object, person or event and form an attitude about it) Evaluate statement about an object, person or event. A persistent tendency to feel and behave in a particular way towards something. Attitudes are characterised by their persistence, valance and direction. Attitudes include three components that are theoretically distinct but in reality, difficult to separate: emotional component: positive or negative feeling (e. g. good/bad, like/dislike) Example: i don"t like my job: informational component: judgements about the object, person, event based on our values and beliefs. Example: my job does/does not provide me with the opportunity to do interesting and meaningful work.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers