PSYC20007 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Steven Pinker, Mikhail Gorbachev, Observational Error

29 views32 pages
Lecture 5
- Heuristics and Biases program
- Central idea: judgment and decision-making often rests on simplifying heuristics instead
of extensive algorithmic processing
- Heuristic: a simple procedure that helps find adequate, though often imperfect, answers
to difficult questions
- Bias: a systematic error of judgment
- Many judgment and decision-making situations were discovered in which participants
gave answers that violated some normative account of how they should be responding,
peoples esposes ee at odds with some ideal standard of how they should respond
- The errors were systematic, there were predictable biases in human judgment and
decision-making
- Focus on systematic errors because they are windows to discover what algorithmic
processes the mind uses, what processes are underlying the systematic errors
- Some of these processes are going to be simple rules of thumb
-
- Pinker (Harvard psycholinguist) quote: this body of knowledge is perhaps the most
important contribution of psychology to human life and every educated person should
know this stuff, mentions that he argued unsuccessfully to the administrative in Harvard
that everyone should be taught these stuff
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 32 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
-
- “ios idea of Bouded atioalit: ipotat idea to peuso to heuisti ad iases
program
- Social sciences: long tradition of attempting to model humans as rational entities
- Bouded atioalit is a teak to that assuptio → takig ito aout the fat that
constraints that prevent us from making fully rational decisions
- Kahneman and Tversky: goes further, does not assume this sort of simplified
approximation to rational analysis, throws out the assumption that humans reason and
choose rationally
- “io also ooed the te heuisti fo opute siee/atifiial itelligee.
Unlock document

-
- Expressed oe sipl, satisfiig is a ule of thu hih sas pik the fist
satisfato alteatie. Its likel to e useful he thee ae a lage ue of
alternatives to compare and the problem is such that determining the optimal choice
would necessitate comparing all alternatives.
- Satisficing is a shortcut: pick the first satisfactory alternative, likely to be useful when
thees lots of alteaties to opae ad deteiig the optial hoie ould
necessitate comparing all the alternatives
- Heuristic was an engineering term
Unlock document

Document Summary

Central idea: judgment and decision-making often rests on simplifying heuristics instead of extensive algorithmic processing. Heuristic: a simple procedure that helps find adequate, though often imperfect, answers to difficult questions. Many judgment and decision-making situations were discovered in which participants gave answers that violated some normative account of how they should be responding, people(cid:859)s (cid:396)espo(cid:374)ses (cid:449)e(cid:396)e at odds with some ideal standard of how they should respond. The errors were systematic, there were predictable biases in human judgment and decision-making. Focus on systematic errors because they are windows to discover what algorithmic processes the mind uses, what processes are underlying the systematic errors. Some of these processes are going to be simple rules of thumb. I(cid:373)o(cid:374)(cid:859)s idea of bou(cid:374)ded (cid:396)atio(cid:374)alit(cid:455): i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ta(cid:374)t idea to p(cid:396)e(cid:272)u(cid:396)so(cid:396) to heu(cid:396)isti(cid:272) a(cid:374)d (cid:271)iases program. Social sciences: long tradition of attempting to model humans as rational entities.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers