LCB006 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Constructivist Epistemology, Cultural-Historical Psychology, Medical Model

45 views1 pages
1. Constructivist epistemology (how do we come to know what we know?)
How do we learn?
What is truth?
We construct meaning with others
E.g. a student isn't left out in a class when he's doing Maths and brought back in
when he's doing PE
2. Sociocultural theory of teaching and learning
Consider the backgrounds to make teaching more engaging for students
We learn and teach in a social context
Think about inclusion and exclusion on service learning - link to these theories to make
better sense of what is happening; explain why this is happening
Help to understand why some people are excluding children
While on Service-Learning: Raise critical awareness and think about alternative practice;
ways students could be taught, engaged, participate even more in activities, what could
be done in a different way
Think about teaching as a political and moral act
Reflection:
Thinking
Analysis
Interpretation
Introspection
Self-scrutiny
Medical model of disability: defines disability as an illness or a difference from a oal ody
o id i eed of teatet to ake the idividual oal ad pevet the fo
distuig oal othes p. 70
Social model of disability: defines disability as a limitation placed on a person with a disability
by physical and social aageets desiged oly fo those deeed ale odied. As this
represents discrimination and repression, it requires political action for change (p. 71)
Social justice: faiess ad euity i soietys politial, eooi ad soial istitutios ased
on a philosophy that places value on collective action for the collective good (p. 73)
Think about teaching as a political and moral act
Social Democracy:
Accepts capitalist arrangements but with regulations that ensure the social good is maintained
as a central feature of economic policy and that collective action for the collective good (is
valued?) (Ballard, 2012, p.72)
Politics of redistribution: the wealth and related resources of society are shared (redistributed)
through taxation and public control of services, such as health and education, so that fairness
is supported and limits placed on extremes of wealth and poverty (Ballard, 2012; p. 73)
Politics of recognition: acknowledges that differences in areas such as gender, culture and
sexuality can involve differences in power and influence, so that policy that supports equity
and self-determination is needed for minority and other oppressed groups (Ballard, 2012; p.
73)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class