BIOL 1902 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Northern Shoveler, Filter Feeder, Hummingbird

47 views3 pages

Document Summary

Maple leaves spindles, seeds, nectar ,sa[: some animals eat dead material= detrivore. The dead material is called detritus: millipede eating pine pollen, the strategies a(cid:374)i(cid:373)als use. O(cid:373)e a(cid:374)i(cid:373)als do(cid:374)"t go to the pla(cid:374)t the(cid:455) ha(cid:448)e the plants delivered to them, usually through moving water. They put their whole bill in and their mouth is partly closed. And as they go through their filtering system (lamellae) the mud goes out but garb remains. Northern shoveler too: tongues also help filter the food from water (northern shoveler, a puddle duck). The tongue helps them filter feed: all plant foods require feeding adaptations, nectar requires a long proboscis, humming birds have long bills. Tongue can be pulled (cid:271)a(cid:272)k i(cid:374) a(cid:374)d e(cid:454)te(cid:374)ded. It"s also split a(cid:374)d (cid:272)urls do(cid:449)(cid:374) the edges. The h(cid:455)oid hor(cid:374)s (hyoid apparatus) extend the tongue. Slugs and snails break off plant tissues with a radula. Radula= drops down on plant tissues and it goes back and forth.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers