BIOL 1902 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Horse-Fly, Herpetology, Ornithology

77 views3 pages

Document Summary

Introduction: natural history is nature, living, breathing, dynamic animals, birds are animals, animal kingdom consists of mammals, birds, reptiles (i. e. snakes), insects, caterpillars eat leaves but some are also carnivores. Sunblock on human hand: mammologist naturalist that studies animals, botanist naturalist that studies plants, entomologist naturalist that studies insects, ornithologist naturalist that studies birds. Component 1: staying alive: defences, appearances, camouflage having colors and sometimes the form to match your background. = concealment, means you are hidden from the eye. Camouflage most developed in smaller animals (bigger animals have other way of defending themselves) Having camouflage on you means you"re bearing the coloration of your environment. Animal has to stay still (called being cryptic) Every habitat has general patterns (camouflage matching these patterns is called background matching i. e. grasslands and cattail marshes have vertical lines from the tall grass/cattails. Animal in this area would want vertical stripes to camouflage). i. e. forest floors are discolored with light and dark spots.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers