History
Course
HIST 3209
Professor
B.S.Elliot
Semester
Winter

Description
Week 5 Lecture 1 – Approaches to the Built Environment th Feb 10 2014 th Due date for paper: April 8 2014 outside his office Today’s lecture: A Historian’s approach to architecture Brick as Wednesday’s lecture  material took a while to reach Ottawa Artistic concrete block as the second material (Wednesday’s lecture) Apartment building also as Wednesday’s topic Three approaches: • Popular local history o Popular heritage pubications; locals who produce works that focus on historic buildings in their area in a broader history o Genre tends to categorize houses with elite architecture – tries to label them with colonial, gothic revival, etc o Gives some architectural comment on style o Big on putting then and now photographs o Talk more about the people hwo lived here rather than the buildings themselves o These don’t really relate to the house • Architectural and art history o Peter Enno’s? critique of this traditionfound and then that style is put into an architectural canon) o i.e. Parks Canada gives one of various styles of houses within Canada o Parks Canada made a series of publications of styles within Canada (i.e. Gothic, Beaux-Art) and say when these styles became prevalent o Style is emphasized – a geneology of styles is presented o Style relates more to the decoration rather than the form (i.e. construction techiguqes, floor layout)  i.e. the style could be in Tudor, while the interior has a modern layout • Folk culture, cultural geography, social history o Includes work of folklores, cultural/human geographers, and cultural and social historians o Represents a shift in focus around 30/40 years ago – from the elite to the common experience o Emphasis more on form, which relates to function rather than on style o Vernacular architecture as a term arising – common use architecture o Use local building materials as common; elite architecture wanted to emulate taste – tries to imitate what is fashionable in the major cities • Books often will judge buildings on canons or design – often look to find patterns of styles o i.e. Billings house 1829  behind Billing’s Bridge shopping center  built by what was then Gloucester  American Federal style architecture – received a national historic site designation o Horaceville Pinhey’s Point 1820 – 49  On Ottawa River in rural part of Kanata  Reflects certain elements of Georgian architecture, but is a vernacular building  Had been rejected for its historic designation – has to fight for provincial status  Arguably more important than the Billing family o For a social historian, buildings are important on what they tell us about society o Polite or formal vs vernacular architecture Social history approaches: • Ideological meanings of style o What ideas about social structure and power do these styles reflect? o Style can capsulate class interest • Regional and ethnic traditions o Allow you to trace geographically and chronologically the ideas and cultural influences o As people migrate, they take their building types with them and the migrate north across the North American continent while evolving to various climates and topographies o Cultural areas can be traced by mapping building types this way • Diffusion of ideas and cultural influences o Changing technologies on construction techniques o All this requires moving beyond the façade of the building and putting them into wider contexts • Changing technology and impact on regional and local identity • Form & layout: social relations (class, family life, gender, privacy) o i.e. look at floorplans and relate them to social relations • The first two approaches will be focused on today’s lecture Ideological meanings of style: banks • Moved beyond the art history approach • Style discussed in terms of social values • Most readily applicable to institution buildings that are attempting to send obvious messages about power • Ellen Gowan’s? book in 1958 • Banks – an institutional form of architecture that has changed dramatically over the years • Sparks Street – Bank of Nova Scotia (now taken by federal government); designed by John M. Lyle in 1923 o Seems like a mausoleum on the interior o Roman and Greek influences on the façade o Intentional to send a message of solidity/permanence – idea that this is a safe place to put your money • Also the same building that terrified Leecock – this intimidation factor convinced banks to radically alter their style of architecture • i.e. Scotiabank – lowslung, glass fronts, modern façade o sends different message – we’re open, accessible, easy to get alone o Bank of Nova Scotia on Main Street, Portland, Saint John, N.B. • Intersection in Guelph had four impressive traditional style banks – they all demolished these buildings in favour for this more modern style • Newer banks more in keeping with the message they wanted to send out • Similar with religious architecture – certain meanings with certain styles (written by Vicki Bennett) • Margaret Visser – the geometry of love (book on European ideological meanings behind architecture) Regional building traditions • Part vernacular architecture – individual building doesn’t mean as much in the context except that it’s part of a larger pattern • We move our focus from the exceptiaonl to the typical • Several ways to approach this: o Certain common features typify areas culturally – sometimes these features are so common that they are sometimes missed o i.e. use of cream coloured Brick in Eastern Ontario more used than in Ottawa • Greek Revival – Pratt’s Hollow, N.Y. o Carries into domestic architecture o In the U.S., the greek style becomes the officially approved stye for government buildings because it makes a visual allusion to the ancient republics of Greece and Rome o When the U.S. declared their independence from Britain, they were concerned to make a case to the world that a republican government can survive in the modern era  They echoed the Greeks and Romans in their architecture o There were roman an dGreek style buildings for Parliament in plan, but then they decided to use Gothic architecture  Gothic architecture associated with British – “we’re not American here” message • Period of housing stock – replacement, continuity o What does it tell us about the past? – a lot is told about their economic history o If a bunch of buildings survive in an area, it tells of poverty o i.e. soil was so good in a certain part of Southern Ontario that people moved their initial loghouses elsewhere to build a better house o in contrary, Ottawa has a large number of log houses because the soil is crap o if there’s many buildings that survive from earlier periods, you can argue that it’s because they aven’t been able to replace them with something better o buildings will also change their function and be replaced – phenomenon of geographical succession  i.e. Woodroffe Avenue – single family homes along an arterial road become businesses as suburbanization continues ot grow  Baseline Road – triplexes eventually taken over by medical profession o Where there is a booming economy, this process can go by quickly  i.e. King Street, Toronto in 1890 vs. 1914  Tremendous economic boom allows commercial street to be built much larger  Wellington street in Ottawa – 1850s it was largely residential construction, 1880s – much of the street gets built in the Mansard roof style, now it is getting rebuilt again by the federal government  Built in various times of economic prosperity o Old Montreal – why does it survive?  Why are there so many original streets and 18 / 19 century buildings?  Part of it is Quebec’s efforts to preserve their identity – large amounts of money put into historic conserv
More Less

Related notes for HIST 3209

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit