HUMR 1001 Lecture 11: HUMR 1001 A – November 29th

4 Pages

Department
Human Rights
Course Code
HUMR 1001
Professor
PHILLIP

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
HUMR 1001 A November 29 th What is Societys Authority Over the Individual? The Importance of Freedom Rights come before ones duties and obligations Considered fundamental because one of the duties of society is to protect our rights as individuals As a result of this freedom of an individual, politicians must ask: how can we maximize the freedom of the individual within the limits of society? Can be justified to limit individual freedoms and rights Human rights violations are obvious it is difficult to argue whether or not something is a human rights violation Even perpetrators of violations dont deny that human rights violations are wrong Human rights may be limited to a certain extent Limits of Society Over the Individual John Stewart Mill: On Freedom (1859) Speaks of the problems of the future (modern day society) 2 points: 1. Freedom is the precondition for the growth of individuals, morally and intellectually the greater the scope of freedom, the greater the potential of individuals may be realized 2. Freedom promotes social development (development of the society) Progress tends to depend on new ideas, unpopular ideas, challenging ideas, etc. Important to question certain ideas and beliefs Freedom of thought is fundamental for Mill Virtually no limitation on freedom of thought and freedom of expression The only legitimate way to test the legitimacy of any opinion is to allow it to be publically debated Societies always lose more than they gain by trying to limit freedom of thought and freedom of expression Losses on all sides: those who debate, those who do not debate One needs to be able to think for themselves, cannot simply adopt the opinions of others just because it is the popular opinion One must argue for what they believe within the marketplace for ideas Individuals have to be able to live as they see fit Actions cannot ever be as free as opinions and thoughts One must respect their fellow citizens What are the limits of the individual? Mill: The only justification for interfering with the liberty of action of anyone is self-protection. The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit