BIOL 350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Theoretical Ecology, Helminths, Parasitoid

48 views4 pages
10 Dec 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Biol 350 lecture 18 - 07/11/2017- student lecture: introduction to parasitism. Conventional term: lives on or in (and benefits, causes harm. Parasites are not a taxa it is a lifestyle. Tapeworm (cestode)- get them from contaminated water, uncooked meat. As a fetus we live inside our mother, we steal her nutrients, sometimes cause some harm: all mammals are parasitic at least at some point in their life cycle. Parasites make up the majority of life styles. Just got to physically filter water (with like pantyhose) Shared environment: lots of contact over time. I do(cid:374)"t (cid:374)eed to (cid:271)e free li(cid:448)i(cid:374)g, i"(cid:373) fi(cid:374)e atta(cid:272)hed to this other organism. Pre-adapted: feeding attachment, some morphological feature about that organism has to already exist. If you have an attachment that allows for feeding, if it can be modified a bit for attachment for a (cid:374)e(cid:449) host, the(cid:374) you"re (cid:272)hilli(cid:374)g. Example phoresy: fish = phoretic, using another organism to catch a ride on.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers