Computer Science (H) Chapter 6 Test Study Guide November 5, 2010
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) If you were to purchase a new computer today, you would probably NOT have a __________ port. 1)
A) Ethernet B) parallel C) USB D) FireWire
2) The amount of RAM that is actually on the memory modules in your computer is the __________ 2)
A) permanent B) nonvolatile C) physical D) virtual
3) The control unit is one part of the 3)
A) RAM. B) front side bus. C) clock. D) CPU.
4) Moore's Law is a rule that predicts 4)
A) the data transfer rate for a hard drive. B) the speed of the front side bus.
C) the access time of the read/write head. D) the pace at which CPUs improve.
5) When referring to hard drives, seek time and latency are two factors that make up 5)
A) hertz. B) data transfer rates.
C) revolutions per minute. D) access time.
6) The percentage of time your CPU is working is referred to as CPU 6)
A) capacity. B) throughput. C) usage. D) latency.
7) Each of the following is a computer subsystem EXCEPT the 7)
A) storage subsystem. B) CPU subsystem.
C) memory subsystem. D) data subsystem.
8) The amount of RAM recommended for most systems today is measured in 8)
A) GB. B) gigahertz. C) megahertz. D) KB.
9) Information about your computer's video card can be found in the 9)
A) Memory subsystem.
B) Task Manager.
C) Advanced Settings of the Display Settings dialog box.
D) Startup folder.
10) Kernel memory is 10)
A) the amount of memory in the memory modules.
B) faster than RAM.
C) RAM memory used by the operating system.
D) permanent memory.
11) Flash memory is a form of __________ storage. 11)
A) nonvolatile B) optical C) temporary D) volatile
1 12) The CPU is connected to the system memory by the 12)
A) expansion hub. B) cache memory.
C) expansion card. D) front side bus.
13) All of the following are forms of RAM EXCEPT 13)
A) DRAM. B) SRAM. C) XRAM. D) SDRAM.
14) The greatest nonvolatile storage capacity in the computer system is found in the 14)
A) RAM. B) cache. C) hard drive. D) CPU.
15) Which of the following activities is carried out by the ALU? 15)
A) movement of read/write heads
B) creation of virtual memory
C) completion of all arithmetic calculations
D) coordination of all other computer components
16) The small circuit boards that hold a series of RAM chips are called 16)
A) flash memory cards. B) virtual memory.
C) expansion cards. D) memory modules.
17) Megahertz and gigahertz are both measures of 17)
A) RAM capacity. B) data transfer rate.
C) cache memory. D) processor speed.
18) For the best audio experience, you need 18)
A) surround s-und speakers and a sound card.
B) IrDA capabilities.
C) a subwoofer.
D) a 3D sound card.
19) The most common port on new computers today is the __________ port. 19)
A) USB B) serial C) parallel D) MIDI
20) Before upgrading your video subsystem, you should evaluate all of the following EXCEPT 20)
A) video card memory. B) Dolby digital compatibility.
C) monitor type. D) monitor size.
21) A 3.8-GHz processor performs work at a rate of 21)
A) 3.8 million machine cycles per second. B) 3.8 billion machine cycles per second.
C) 3.8 bytes per second. D) 3.8 bits per second.
22) To make sure your computer performs reliably, you can do all of the following EXCEPT 22)
A) increase the front side bus speed. B) run the Disk Defragmenter.
C) clean out your Startup folder. D) clear out unnecessary files.
23) All of the following can be connected to your computer through a port EXCEPT 23)
A) a printer. B) RAM.
C) an external hard drive. D) a scanner.
2 24) An expansion card that translates binary data into images is a(n) 24)
A) audio card. B) video card. C) game card. D) sound card.
25) A computer monitor's resolution is the 25)
A) same as the refresh rate.
B) diagonal measurement of the tube.
C) number of pixels displayed on the screen.
D) number of bits the video card uses to represent each pixel.
26) A computer system becomes memory bound when 26)
A) the ALU becomes overloaded with data. B) there is not enough virtual memory.
C) the FSB is too fast. D) there is not enough RAM installed.
27) CPU speed is measured in 27)
A) megabytes. B) bits per second (bps).
C) hertz. D) nanoseconds.
28) The Ethernet port is used to connect a computer to 28)
A) digital video devices. B) a local network.
C) mice and keyboards. D) printers only.
29) Running the Disk Cleanup utility is a quick way to 29)
A) remove spyware programs. B) clean out your Startup folder.
C) clear out unnecessary files. D) defrag your hard drive.
30) Two types of video memory are 30)
A) SRAM and DRAM. B) 4-bit and 8-bit.
C) IrDA and IDE. D) GDDR3 and DDR2.
31) When your computer is using virtual memory, the operating system builds a file called the page 31)
file on the
A) FSB. B) CPU. C) CD -OM. D) hard drive.
32) You can determine the amount of RAM in your system by looking in the __________ window. 32)
A) System Properties B) Utilities
C) Memory D) Performance
33) A video card is an expansion card installed inside your 33)
A) system unit. B) VGA hookup. C) video memory. D) monitor.
34) Running the Disk Defragmenter utility will __________. 34)
A) make the hard drive work more efficiently.
B) clean out your Startup folder.
C) clear out temporary Internet files.
D) detect and remove spyware.
35) Some PC hard drives have storage capacities of up to 35)
A) 1.5 kilobytes. B) 1.5 gigabytes. C) 1.5 megabytes. D) 1.5 terabytes.
3 36) When there is not enough RAM installed in your system, it becomes limited in how fast it can send 36)
data to the CPU because there is not enough memory. This is referred to as being
A) memory locked. B) memory bound
C) out of virtual memory. D) locked up.
37) When referring to hard drives, access time is measured in 37)
A) bps. B) hertz. C) milliseconds. D) kilobytes.
38) The CPU consists of which two parts? 38)
A) the control unit and cache memory
B) the control unit and the arithmetic logic unit
C) the arithmetic logic unit and the front side bus
D) the control unit and the front side bus
39) Which of the following is NOT a main disadvantage of a desktop computer as compared to 39)
A) A desktop computer is more expensive.
B) A desktop computer requires more space.
C) A desktop computer is difficult to transport for repair.
D) A desktop computer is harder to move around.
40) If you are wondering if you need more RAM, you should evaluate your __________ subsystem. 40)
A) CPU B) memory C) storage D) audio
41) Which of the following forms of storage is referred to as optical media? 41)
A) hard disk drive B) flash drive C) floppy disk D) DVD
42) Which general computer concept statement is FALSE? 42)
A) An accumulation of temporary Internet files has no effect on your computer's overall
B) When you defrag your hard drive, it works more efficiently.
C) You can clean out unnecessary programs from your Startup folder.
D) Having the latest version of software products can make your system more reliable.
43) The number of bits the video card uses to represent each pixel on the monitor is called 43)
A) bit depth. B) binary volume. C) bit capacity. D) transparency.
44) Each of the following is a type of port EXCEPT 44)
A) FireWire. B) FSB. C) Ethernet. D) USB.
45) Wi -i has a transfer data rate of up to __________ Mbps. 45)
A) 300 B) 200