CLAS 365 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Antigonus Ii Gonatas, Eumenes I, Philetaerus

28 views4 pages

Document Summary

Located on north western coast of anatolia, present day mysia. This part of anatolia, many greek cities established here, many of them become very wealthy over time, becomes hotly contested in this period due to wealth. O(cid:396)igi(cid:374)s fai(cid:396)ly o(cid:271)s(cid:272)u(cid:396)e, does(cid:374)"t go (cid:271)a(cid:272)k i(cid:374)to the da(cid:396)k ages like othe(cid:396) polis, o(cid:374)ly e(cid:374)te(cid:396)s histo(cid:396)i(cid:272) record at end of 5th century. Start to get details at end of 4th c. when philetaerus comes to power. born 343-263. Was orginially an agent of one of alexanders successors, lysimachus. Macedonian named attalus, why they are known as attalids. Was born in tios, (south coat of black sea), was someone who switched allegiances, could see which way it was going. At first, he served under antigonus the one eye, at some point around 301, he shifted to lysimachus and was made keep of pegamums treasure. After he allies to seleucus i around 283, once he does, Niether philataerus and successor claimed kingship before 240 bc.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers