1. what are the six elements required for communication to occur?
answer: sender, receiver, message, channel of communication,
encoding, and decoding
2. a difficulty for canadian companies advertising in foreign markets is that the audience
does not share the same ___________________.
answer: field of experience
3. a misprint in a newspaper ad is an example of _______________.
i. the communication process
communication is the process of conveying a message to others and requires a source, a
message, a channel of communication, a receiver, and the processes of encoding and
decoding. the source is a sender -- such as a company or salesperson -- who has
information to convey. the message is the information to be transmitted, such as the details
of a new weight-reduction drink. the receivers are consumers who read, hear, or see the
a. encoding and decoding
1. encoding is the process of having the sender transform an abstract idea into a set
2. decoding is the reverse, or the process of having the receiver take a set of
symbols, the message, and transform them back to an abstract idea.
3. communicating the message effectively requires a common field of experience
similar understanding and knowledge -- between the sender and receiver.
feedback is the communication flow from receiver to sender and indicates
whether the message was decoded and understood as intended. the feedback loop
consists of a response and feedback.
noise includes extraneous factors which can work against effective communication
by distorting a message or the feedback received.
the promotional elements to communicate with consumers a company can use one or more of five promotional
alternatives -- adv