PSYC 440 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Arnold Gesell, Big Five Personality Traits, Andreas Vesalius

44 views6 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 5 temperament: temperament (from latin temperare = right mix, nature of temperament, hippocrates and galen theory: Excess black bile causes you to be analytical (melancholy). Brain is the center: first half of the 20th century (input from psychmorphology, personality theory, developmental theory, etc. Looked at personality-based five factor model (i. e. openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, neuroticism): summary, no clear definition of temperament to this day (i. e. we have input from many different fields): Points of convergence regarding the definition of temperament: Reflects behavioral tendencies, not distinct acts (only in infancy). Stable core vs. modifiable expression (i. e. the expression of temperament can be changed within the environment context; e. g. , a mother giving a whining kid what he wants versus a teacher not giving the whining student what he wants). Points of divergence regarding the definition of temperament: Different dimensions are suggested by each discipline: round-table, history, round-table in 1985:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers