BIOC 4403 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Group Ii Intron, Mobile Genetic Elements, Group I Catalytic Intron

71 views2 pages

Document Summary

Mobile genetic elements: dna elements that encode proteins that mediate the movement of the element within a genome and between genomes. Found in all domains of life, abundant and dynamic. Mobile introns: intervening sequences that are capable of self-splicing and moving themselves within and between genomes (group i and group ii introns) Inteins: proteins that carry out protein splicing and are also capable of moving the gene that encodes them to other locations. Group i introns: mobile self-splicing ribozymes that catalyze their own removal from rna. Some contain an orf encoding a homing endonuclease (he) Intron removed by 2 transesterification reactions: 1st reaction initiated by oh of exogenous guanosine. Group i intron homing: the lateral (or horizontal) transfer of an intervening sequence (intron) into an intron-lacking version of the gene. Homing endonucleases (he): recognize and cleave 12-40bp dna sequence motifs, some also have a maturase function to help the intron fold into the 3d shape required for splicing.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers