BIOL 1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Cellular Respiration, Catabolism, Endergonic Reaction

33 views6 pages

Document Summary

Metabolism: the total (sum) of all chemical reactions happening inside a cell. Is the value positive or negative: positive, reaction will not occur spontaneously (needs input of energy, negative, reaction will occur spontaneously. Energy in reactants is more than energy in products. Energy in reactants is less than energy in products (so needs input of energy) The cell will couple exergonic and endergonic reactions. Structure: 3 phosphates, ribose (carbohydrate, adenine group (monomer of nucleic acid) Hydrolysis of atp: atp + h2o -> adp + phosphate (pi, g = -30 kj/mol. Atp phosphorylates channel proteins (energy from atp forces protein to change shape) Atp binds noncovalently to motor proteins and then is hydrolysed. Photosynthesis (short summary: light energy, fix co2, organic molecules (chemical energy) + o2. Energy from atp originally comes from the sun. Autotrophs (cid:272)o(cid:374)vert su(cid:374)"s e(cid:374)erg(cid:455) i(cid:374)to (cid:272)he(cid:373)i(cid:272)al e(cid:374)erg(cid:455) (cid:894)(cid:373)ostl(cid:455) i(cid:374) the for(cid:373) of glu(cid:272)ose via photosynthesis) i. e. plants turn sunshine and co2 into sugar.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers