HPRO 3351 (3)

Injury Prevention_Jan 23.doc

6 Pages
Unlock Document

Dalhousie University
Health Promotion
HPRO 3351
Julian Young

INJURY PREVENTION 1 Good Practice Model (foundation for the course) *Course slides (know for exam)  Center of the model covers the context  The next layer is called A Public Health Approach o Defining the problem o Identifying risk & protective factors o Selecting an Intervention o Implementing the program o Evaluating the program  Outer layer is called Engagement o Community o Other key stakeholders o Partnership o Political I.e. was a new initiative to enforce the law positively Define the problem: If you do not start out with a clear and focused problem definition, the program will get into trouble • What’s the policy and social context • What do we know about the injury issues (scope, burden, magnitude, societal impacts, etc)? • Create a problem statement Describing the Burden of Injury • Frequency o The number of injuries in a specific time period • Rates o The frequency of injuries within a given population, or within a given period of time (find rate-based calculations for the project i.e. rates per 100,000) o Total # of injuries x 100,000 Population o Rates based on exposure vs. population: o Not everyone in the population is equally likely to get hurt in a given way o Population based rates don’t take this into account o Can express rates in terms of exposure to risk instead, for example o # of MVC injuries/1000km driven vs. # of MVC injuries/ 1000 hours spent in a car • Costs INJURY PREVENTION 2 o Human costs  i.e. loss of independence, loss of relationships o Direct costs  i.e. hospital costs o Indirect costs  i.e. loss of productivity **know the difference between each category of ‘cost’ Total cost of injuries is $19.8 billion o Potential years of life lost (PYLL) is usually standardized to 75 i.e. Person who dies in a car crash at age 45 has 30 PYLL It’s a frequency, so it can be turned into a rate -Alberta has highest PYLL • Population-based Information about who died  Vital statistics (Deaths) o Population based o Basic information (age, sex, geography, date, cause and nature of injury)  Coroners’/Medical examiners reports o Coroner investigation o Basic information + individual reports can be quite detailed Information about all hospitalized injuries  Discharge Abstract Database o Administrative database of all acute care facilities o Minimal dataset of trauma registry contains these records for injury cases o Basic information (age, sex, geography, date, cause and nature of injury, treatment given, discharge status) o Population based Information about Major Injuries  Trauma registry Comprehensive Dataset o Collected by lead trauma facilities o Basic information (age, sex, geography, date, cause and nature of injury, treatment given, discharge status) + information on risk factors (i.e. blood alcohol concentration, seat belt use) o Not population based  Only those admitted to participating facilities  Only those admitted for trauma (i.e. poisoning is an injury but not a trauma) of sufficient severity) Information on Emergency Department Visits for Injury INJURY PREVENTION 3  National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS) o Population based for Ontario ED visits o Alberta has separate system o Basic information  Canadian Hospitals Injury Reporting and Prevention Program (CHIRPP) **for project o 14 select facilities (10 pediatric) o Detailed reports of circumstances surrounding injury… The ICD-10 CA  A standard coding system for diseases and health conditions, used internationally  Developed by the WHO  Captures nature of injury  Captures external cause of injury  Requires detailed documentation Injury Outcomes (iceberg) *on slides Where else to get information  Police/justice  Other health data  Surveys o Population health surveys contain information on some risk behaviours and also on injuries not reported elsewhere o Research surveys on special topics (i.e. student drug use survey, alcohol indicators report) General Issues  Population based versus not o Data sets may have different population definitions o Trade-off exist, between coverage and level of detail  Databases collected for particular purpose (not injury prevention) o i.e. hospital data is about resource utilization not causes of injury  Coding differences may exist within and between jurisdictions Injury Data Collection  Special surveys  Addition to existing collection tools  Special studies  Questionnaires, interviews, observation surveys, focus groups  Geographical Information Systems (G.I.S.) INJURY PREVENTION 4 When do you have enough data? {key for our injury project}  Data are the means, not the end  Decide at the beginning what data and information you need to define your problem and to move forward  When you find what you need, stop looking Don’t get stuck at this step! Consult Experts  Data analysis is an important part of your approach to injury prevention. Talk to the experts if you have any questions or require assistance with your analysis. Injury Prevention Project  Problem Statement (2-4 sentences/ paragraph in length)  Identifying the risk and protective factors (social determinants, conditions people face)  Good Practice Model Learning Outcomes • Identify risk and protective factors • Haddon’s matrix (on exam*) • Understand causation • Understand what is needed for…. Risk Factors –The Caus
More Less

Related notes for HPRO 3351

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.