English
Course
ENGL 1121
Professor
K.Chan
Semester
Fall

Description
Mood of Yellow Wallpaper In “Yellow Wall Paper” By Charlotte Perkins Gilman The narrator and her husband John have rented an old mansion for three months in the summer. Although, the setting seems strange, lonely,and far from the village; the house hasn't been taken care, but it still has beautiful rooms and gardens. However the house seems empty; the narrator feels it is haunted. Yet her husband, “John laughs at me... and is practical in the extreme,” this shows how John and his wife are different. He thinks she is just being silly. He doesn't really listen to her feelings. She is feeling sad and depressed, but John, who is a doctor, thinks she is not sick. John takes care of her body but not her mind. “So I take phosphates or phosphites –whichever it is, and tonics, and journeys, and air, and exercise, and I am absolutely forbidden to “work” until I am very well.” John, like other doctors doesn't see depression as an illness. The story takes place as the beginning of summer, but when the summer continues, the narrator gets worse and worse until she “falls” into craziness and madness. The room she wants to take, is full of lights and is pretty, but it's not big enough for her and John. John decides to take the upstairs room, which has ugly yellow wall paper, bars on the windows and a bed nailed to the floor. She follows her husband because that's what women did. John doesn't spend much time in that room, but she spends a lot of time in the room and she starts to see things in the wall paper. The wall paper represents her mind. It's ugly, confused, has big patterns tha
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 1121

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit