English (45)
ENGL 1127 (8)
D.Curie (2)

The Hemingway.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Langara College
ENGL 1127

Hemingway’s “Hills like White Elephants”  The operation that Jig is confronting is an abortion. The man says to Jig “I know you wouldn’t mind it. It’s really not anything. It’s just to let the air in,” “That’s the only thing that bothers us. It’s the only thing that’s made us unhappy,” and “but I don’t want anybody but you.” When Jig looks at the hills as the sun shone on them and described them as the colour of white elephants, she was comparing them to the colour of the baby’s skin. It becomes risky physically because she drinks often and that would harm the baby. Also, the intense amount of travelling will tire her out with the baby inside her. The emotional risk is the constant thought of the baby and the abortion. Not surprised that it was written by a man because Hemingway made the man based on the concept of masculinity – making him assertive, in-control of the situation they’re in. While he makes the female unassertive and indecisive. She’s uncertain if she wants the operation and relies on the man for direction.  The hills in the story represent Jig’s split decision to keep or abort the baby. The white hills, representing life and the darkened valleys representing death, having Jig constantly contemplate about the decision between them. Comparing the two landscapes, the white hills are beautiful, but the barrened valleys are the opposite.  We identify with Jig more readily because we slowly get to notice how she feels about the operation and feel her emotions as she observes the landscape. As she compares the landscape with her baby, we slowly understand
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 1127

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.