Schengen Agreement: EU member countries have harmoized visa
● most effective when used in conjunction with another tool of arrival
prevention, carrier sanctions
● “A globalized world, in which opportunities of intercontinental
movement have increased, has been met by an expansion in the
sphere in which entrance controls work.”
What are the implications?
● Development of institution of asylum = baleful (harmful)
● human rights groups = makes it harder for them to observe what
goes on at airport counters, visa sections of foregin consulates
● asylum seekers who never arrive can never recount their
experiences ● What are the justifications used for exclusion?
○ Governments have to offer justification b/c rejecting asylum
seekers = very controversial and public affair
○ It is “beyond the bounds of the state’s responsibilities”