ANSC 433 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Osmoregulation, Bone Mineral, Vitamin K

24 views6 pages
10. ANSC 433: Animal Nutrition & Metabolism Chantal Coutu
Macro-Minerals
Introduction
Essentiality of minerals: inorganic elements that have a proven metabolic function in the body
Classification of minerals:
- Macro-minerals are present in large quantities (g/kg; % of diet DM)
- Micro-minerals are present in small quantities (mg/kg; ppm in diet)
Concentration of Essential Minerals in Animals
- Things that make bones or are involved in osmotic balance
Functions of Macro-minerals
Mineral
Function
Ca
Structural
Enzyme function
P
Structural
Mg
Structural
Enzyme function
Na
Acid-base balance
Osmotic balance
K
Acid-base balance
Osmotic balance
Cl
Acid-base balance
Osmotic balance
Mineral Interactions and Toxicities
The major ways minerals may interact are:
The formation of unabsorbable compounds
Competition for metabolic pathways
The induction of metal-binding proteins
An imbalance of mineral elements is important in the etiology of certain nutritional disorders of farm animals. Minerals
may be toxic if given to the animal in excessive quantities (fluorine (F), selenium, arsenic: toxic at low levels so use with
caution). Tpiall iorporate ierals ito the aial’s diet as a prei.
Wo’t ask aout the diagra, arro = positie or egatie iteratio a pair ith itais
Cobalt and vitamin B12: cobalt to synthesize vitamin B12
Vitamin E and selenium: anti-oxidants
Vitamin D and Calcium
Selenium interferes with membrane integrity, protect membrane from lipotoxicity.
Hard to find deficiencies in herds since the premix is given to all the animals; the source of error
would be in those who make the mix.
Natural Sources of Minerals
The factors that affect the mineral content of plants:
Soil conditions (e.g. pH, mineral content, drainage) will vary from one location to another
Species and stage of maturity of the plant
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
10. ANSC 433: Animal Nutrition & Metabolism Chantal Coutu
Use of fertilizers can alter the pH and change the mineral content of the plants (adding one mineral can have an
effect on another mineral)
Supplementary Sources of Minerals
Usually, mineral/trace element/vitamin supplements are provided as a premix. Common sources of minerals used in
mineral supplements are: limestone for calcium, dicalcium phosphate (rocks/crystals) for phosphorus, common salt for sodium,
and calcined magnesite for magnesium. Trace elements are usually supplied i a salt for. Mierals i helated or orgai
form are proposed to have greater absorbability than inorganic sources. An example of a mineral given in organic form is
selenium; it can also be given as an inorganic form with sodium (i.e. selenium as sodium selenite). But organic forms are
cheaper and potentially better. Be idful that these soures are’t free of otaiats, like phosphorous roks otai
fluorine which is toxic to the animal.
- Chelated means it is bound to an organic molecule by a ligand.
***Will need to make a premix as part of the ration formulation assignment/evaluation and use the program from lab 3
Calcium (Ca)
Tissue Distribution
Most of the calcium (~99%) in the body provides structural function for the skeleton and teeth (i.e. is made up of it). The
reaiig 1% of the od’s Ca is foud i etra ad itraellular fluids ad proide regulator futios. Ca i the lood eists
in three states: ionized (50-60%), bound to protein (albumin and pre-albumin; 30-40%), complexed with organic or inorganic
acids (citrate, bicarbonate, phosphate; 5-10%).
Functions
Calcium is mainly for structural purposes (the formation of bone and teeth), but is also an essential component of several
enzyme systems (transmission of nerve impulses or muscle contraction), and plays a role in blood coagulation (i.e. is a pro-
thrombin activator) with vitamin K.
Sources
Good sources of calcium include milk, green leafy crops and sugar beet pulp. Forages can also have a calcium component.
Bad sources of calcium are cereals and roots. Animal by-products that contain bone are excellent sources, like fishmeal and
bone-meal. Mineral supplements with Ca include ground limestone, dicalcium phosphate and rock calcium phosphate (must be
free of F, otherwise toxic; i.e. need to de-fluorinate)
Digestion and Absorption
A Ca source comes in to the stomach and the low pH will ionize the Ca (it can only be absorbed as free Ca ions). Ca is then
absorbed by two processes: using transporters and paracellular diffusion.
1. On the basal side, the Ca is transported into the cell by
a membrane channel protein called TRVP6. The Ca is
shuttled across the cell by cytosolic binding proteins
called calbindin. It enters the circulation by an ATPase
pump on the luminal side to.
2. Paracellular diffusion is absorption that occurs between
cells (not through them) seen in hens and cows that
demand a lot of Ca
Vitamin D is a regulator of Ca homeostasis (as well as
phosphorus homeostasis). Calcium absorption can be inhibited by
phytic acid (inositol hexaphosphpate). Phytic acid binds to Ca ions
thus preventing their absorption. It can also form calcium soaps
which cannot be absorbed and are thus excreted through the
feces.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Essentiality of minerals: inorganic elements that have a proven metabolic function in the body. Macro-minerals are present in large quantities (g/kg; % of diet dm) Micro-minerals are present in small quantities (mg/kg; ppm in diet) Things that make bones or are involved in osmotic balance. An imbalance of mineral elements is important in the etiology of certain nutritional disorders of farm animals. Minerals may be toxic if given to the animal in excessive quantities (fluorine (f), selenium, arsenic: toxic at low levels so use with caution). T(cid:455)pi(cid:272)all(cid:455) i(cid:374)(cid:272)orporate (cid:373)i(cid:374)erals i(cid:374)to the a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al"s diet as a pre(cid:373)i(cid:454). Wo(cid:374)"t ask a(cid:271)out the diagra(cid:373), arro(cid:449) = positi(cid:448)e or (cid:374)egati(cid:448)e i(cid:374)tera(cid:272)tio(cid:374) (cid:894)(cid:272)a(cid:374) pair (cid:449)ith (cid:448)ita(cid:373)i(cid:374)s(cid:895) Cobalt and vitamin b12: cobalt to synthesize vitamin b12. Selenium interferes with membrane integrity, protect membrane from lipotoxicity. Hard to find deficiencies in herds since the premix is given to all the animals; the source of error would be in those who make the mix.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers