ANTH 206 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Development Corporations, Bioavailability, Equator Principles

20 views4 pages
10/24/17
Mining Science- Production of Knowledge
Corporations as social actors and sources of knowledge
Stuart Kirsch- University of Michigan, anthropologist who shifted focus to activism (symbolic
anthropology).
o New Guinea mine (near where Kirsch worked) would employ some people, mine tried to
control data revealing ecological impact of mining operations. People dependent on rivers
for traditional fisheries, focus of Kirsch as witness to degradation of environment and
health, loss of territory, became activist
Knew his skills could help people (cultural capital)
o Studies corporations as social actors- take language of responsibility
o Wrote "Mining Capitalism"- summarizes studies about corporations, court case in New
Guinea and how people mobilized against a mine.
How corporations produce knowledge and discourses, changes how we look at
environment. Skilled at coopting language of critics.
Activists need to find new ways to render mining companies accountable, easier to
mobilize in some places (Canada- 60% of global mining companies in Toronto stock
exchange, 85% of agreements on international mining signed in Canada. Antiquated
and loose legal framework around mining).
Mining really important in stock market in Canada, government has no incentive to
change rules
Sign agreements here, extort resources in other countries
o Kirsch couldn’t just closely relate to indigenous people, needed to understand corporations
as institutions, not individuals. How corporations organize is similar around the world. Also
produce culture around the world.
o Knowledge produced conceals harm, creates violent environments, alters/corrupts relations
between science/government/state and society
o "Study Up"- rather than working with indigenous people, look at people who are not
subjects of traditional anthropology (corporate elites)
Are conventional methods sufficient?
Ethical questions- AAA advocates for anthropologists working for benefit of people
they work with (anthropologists and traditional subjects of study should work
together to promote objectives of the community being studied. Corporations are
well able to take care of their own objectives).
Anthropologists taking research funds from universities and working for
corporations is complicated.
Access studying global elites- need to be able to travel, powerful actors deny access
(not always true). Is it acceptable to use deception to meet with elites- misrepresent
work, change questions of study, etc.?
Ok Tedi Gold and Copper Mine
o Direct environmental impacts- 10% of territory of one tribe leased by mine, understood that
this section would be destroyed, lease included financial compensation to local people
Calculate minimum, compensate some people but hide public health costs
o Indirect impacts downriver- tailings not easily contained, heavy metals show up in river
ecosystems, contamination of inundated gardens and fields.
Environmental properties shape effects of industry
o Direct impacts get compensation, indirect impacts do not
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Mining science- production of knowledge: corporations as social actors and sources of knowledge. Stuart kirsch- university of michigan, anthropologist who shifted focus to activism (symbolic anthropology): new guinea mine (near where kirsch worked) would employ some people, mine tried to control data revealing ecological impact of mining operations. Guinea and how people mobilized against a mine: how corporations produce knowledge and discourses, changes how we look at environment. Antiquated and loose legal framework around mining): mining really important in stock market in canada, government has no incentive to change rules. Sign agreements here, extort resources in other countries: kirsch couldn"t just closely relate to indigenous people, needed to understand corporations as institutions, not individuals. How corporations organize is similar around the world. Also produce culture around the world: knowledge produced conceals harm, creates violent environments, alters/corrupts relations between science/government/state and society. Individuals cannot affect knowledge: mode 2- knowledge becomes socially responsive.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers