BINF 511 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Omics, Cytoscape, Heat Map

43 views3 pages
Lecture 2B: Metabolomics - Principles and Applications in Systems Biology
(Konstantinos Aliferis - Guest Lecturer)
January 17, 2018
Introduction in metabolomics
Metabolomics: comprehensive qualitative and quantitative analysis of a large number of
metabolites
Metabolome: the chemical profile or fingerprint of the metabolites reflecting the life history of
each individual organism including:
oGenome, age, physiological condition
oEnvironmental and stress factors
oNutrition
oExposure to xenobiotics
Biomarker: a measureable indicator of some biological state or condition
Application of metabolomics
oFirst introduced in 2000
Typical metabolomics pipeline
oChemical analyses
Instrumentation
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Lecture 2b: metabolomics - principles and applications in systems biology (konstantinos aliferis - guest lecturer) Metabolomics: comprehensive qualitative and quantitative analysis of a large number of metabolites. Metabolome: the chemical profile or fingerprint of the metabolites reflecting the life history of each individual organism including: genome, age, physiological condition o. Biomarker: a measureable indicator of some biological state or condition. Commonly employed analyzers: nmr, gc/ms, orbitrap ms: data pre-processing and analyses. Can assess which ones are more resistant, which responds better from the metabolic point of view. Genomics = proteomics + phenomics + transcriptomics + metabolomics: all the other -omics tell us what is expected to happen in the biological system, metabolomics tell you what is actually happening. Metabolomics is a great tool to tell us the mode of action of a compound. Bioinformatics software (i. e. simca p+, cytoscape) and databases (i. e. Bioinformatics software (i. e. simca p+, cytoscape) and databases (i. e. biocyc) o.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers