Biology (Sci)
Course
BIOL 111
Professor
Suzanne Gray
Semester
Fall

Description
October 20 , 2011 Arthropods I Which of the following statements about mollusks is true? Many have trochophore layer Which of the following mollusks groups have a closed circulatory system? Cuttlefish Protostome group: Ecdysozoans  Arthropods are found in this group (coelomates)  Most diverse eukaryotic group  Within arthropods, beetles make up 35% The diversity of Arthropods: Dytiscus: predaceous diving beetle, adults collect air under wings and use this to breathe underwater ▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯ Honey bee (Apis): has among most complex social life (i.e. worker bees dance to communicate location of new source)  Angle of waggle relative to sun communicates position of food source  Duration of waggle communicates distance of food source  Work was awkward a Nobel prize  However, new data show that up to 93% of the time other bees ignore the dance  Early experiments were conducted with artificial feeders and few food sources  Other cues such as odor are likely important Example: The Bombardier Beetle  Anti-predation function: steaming by shooting out a chemical at boiling temperature (firing apparatus) October 20 , 2011 Arthropods I Arthropods:  “Jointed foot”  Largest eukaryotic phylum  Very abundant (10 individuals alive at any one time)  Example: insects, crustaceans, arachnids  Reduced segmentation; body regions condensed into specialized function organs  Jointed appendages; divided up a segmented body plan into specialized functions  Rigid Exoskeleton forces ecdysozoans to go through a molting phase o Non-living o Secreted by epidermis o Covers all external surfaces, digestive tract and tracheae o Composed of layers o Chitin, proteins and CaCO (in crustaceans) 3 Advantages of a rigid Exoskeleton:  Physical support  Place for muscle attachment  Physical protection o From abrasion, predation, parasite entry, desiccation  Location of pigments (camouflage, warning, coloration, mating  Jointed appendages and exoskeleton allow faster locomotion  Opportunity to change morphology between larval and adult stages Disadvantages of a rigid exoskeleton  Inflexible and heavy (thick and protective)  Continuous growth in size is not possible o Must be periodically shed (molted)  Requires energy to form and shed  Prevents use of cilia as effectors  Respiration through skin not possible o Spiracles (pores) and tracheae (tubes) Discontinuous Growth " ▯▯ ▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯#▯ ▯$ ▯  Mass grows continuously, but size changes in stepwise fashion - %▯ ▯▯$ ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯& ▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯ ▯▯ ▯$▯ ▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯ ▯ ▯▯▯▯▯ ' ▯▯▯( ▯▯ 5 ▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯*▯▯▯▯ ▯▯ Clams have exoskeletons – do they experience periodic molting events like anthropods? No, they are not ecdysozoans th October 20 , 2011 Arthropods I Skeletons: 1. Hydrostatic skeleton a. Cnidarians b. Worms c. Shell-less mollusks 2. Exoskeleton a. Shelled mollusks b. Arthropods 3. Endoskeleton a. Echinoderms b. Vertebrates % ▯▯▯▯▯-, ▯▯▯ , ▯ ▯▯ Musculo-Skeletal Systems in Arthropods: A) Skeletal muscles: need a resistor to act against (i.e. a skeleton) B) Are often found in antagonistic pairs  Act in opposite directions  Muscles can only pull, not push  Example: biceps/triceps ▯▯ ▯▯!▯▯▯▯ ▯ ▯▯!▯▯▯▯▯ B o▯▯▯ ▯▯ o▯ ▯▯▯ i▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯a$ed? *▯J▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯ ▯ ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯ ▯! ▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯ Neurons and Chemical Synapses A neuron at rest is characterized by: 1.Higher concentrations of K+ outside of the neuron 2.Higher concentrations of Na+ outside of the neuron 3.H
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit