Lecture Notes

5 Pages

Department
Economics (Arts)
Course Code
ECON 302
Professor
Tom Velk

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
Lecture 21 11/14/2013 • YouTube videos explaining how option contracts can be used to hedge (insure) a market position in the  underlie (security itself), its consistent with the view that what these products do for you as an investor  is give an ability to insure, to a degree, the risk that you take with your fundamental position  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeI41a1sJSM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoiwFHj3CMY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRJFhAdVDQE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5fXOlBbw4E Still in the Green book, talking about the 4 sample products (spoke about first 2 last class) • (3) Foreign currency and interest rate options • Contract conveying the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell a specified financial  instrument at a fixed price before, or at a certain future date You're buying the right to have the shares • • To buy the right you have to pay a premium. Start at the axis of the graph, go down to the point  where you're paying $1 per share (contract might be for 1000 shares, but premium is always  expressed as $1/share) • See diagram 1 • Point x: spot price – the actual price at which it is trading, also called the strike price, meaning  the price at which u agree with the guy on the other side that you can buy the share. If this is  the spot and the strike price then it means at least at the moment that the strike price is in the  money, meaning the price at which it is actually being traded • The 45 degree line is interpreted as: o This option that I have to buy it at $10 is an option that I would not exercise unless the  price of Microsoft (in this case) is more htan $10, because what’s in my brain is if I can  buy it at 10 but it’s selling for 13 in the market, this is nice. I can buy it and then  instantly sell it and put the $3 in the pocket o The slope is a one­for­one slope after the point on the horizontal axis of $10, so for  instance if the market price moves to $11, I would exercise my option and buy the stock  at $10 and sell it at $11 o The meaning of the 45 degree line crossing the horizontal axis is that at that point, as  the buyer of the option, I’ve recovered my premium. That $1 per share premium that  I’ve put out, I now have it back, so I am now at a 0 posiiton because I completely  recovered my premium o If the price went up another dollar, to $12, I have $2 gross profit and $1 net profit • In terms of vulnerability: I have put out the premium ($1/share), and he has it. I am depending  on him to perform because perhaps, I may have written this contract where I said I want to be  able to buy Microsoft for $10 per share, at any point throughout the year. Of course, that guy  could move and disappear so I have a risk on your failure to perform. The guy on the other side  has no risk at all because he gets his money right away, OR it could be very great because if  the share went to $1000, he could really be destroyed by his obligation • Diagram 2 is the graph for the other guy o If the price were to go above $10, the profit from the premium disappears at the 45  degree line rate, dollar­for­dollar o If the price goes up to 11, the profit is gone on a per­share basis, and the loss goes up  dollar for dollar • Why would I do this? Hedging possibility for the writer o If I didn’t make a contract, as the share price goes up, I earn dollar for dollar the share  price’s increase o (See diagram 3), the triangle is my potential loss, by writing an option, I can offset my  loss with a hedge of writing a call against my long position – if I got things just right, I  could perhaps eliminate my risk altogether  o If I can write this call option, and if the premiums are right then I can completely offset  the possible loss that will happen if the price is highly speculative and I get only gain o All this comes to showing how important it is to show what the price of an option is Vertical Bull Call Spread (1 way to use options) • Here we have a call buy (like in previous), and a call sell • If they're both a dollar, you can profit from both contracts: • On the left (bottom) you'd be paying out a dollar buying the call • On the right (top) you’re making a dollar • Your premiums net out entirely • And you get profit (at least in terms of getting money back) in the triangle from $10­$11 and in  the zone where your exercise price was at point z ($12) • ‘X’ is the spot, where if the market price goes to 11 you get your premium back • If the price goes up further than $12 you make extra profit • What that really means is u cant have a world where those 2 premiums are a dollar • In fact, in any kind of real world there is only 1 initial spot (lets say its $10), you cant have 2  simultaneous spots so the z could be the strike price but not the spot price • If that’s the case, then the premium for the higher price of $12 is going to be smaller than a dollar, call it  50 cents and on the o
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit