For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
June 15, 2015
The Study of World Religions — Christianity (Paolo Livieri)
Who is Jesus Christ?
• The incarnation of God, the creator of universe
• He is the bearer of the Gospel (the messenger of the Gospel)
• Messiah: (Hebrew) literally “anointed one” (chosen one). the Greek “Christ”-
Kingship of Jesus
Word Per Word (Paolo Livieri)
• Christ is not a name, it is a title and the messiah refers to the King of the Kingdom of God,
the long awaited King on earth of the chosen people
• From a different perspective, “King” in the Christian religion means something different than
• Jesus Christ will acknowledge that he is the Messiah (he will to avoid to
admit that he is the messiah). He asked a lot of disciples around him: “who
do you think I am?” . Only Peter said that he was clearly the Messiah and for the
first time he agreed that he was the messiah. He didn’t want to confirm his messianic
function because he did not want to mix his function with the traditional function of the
Messiah. He did not just want to become a “political” king. He didn’t want to be taken as the
new political leader of the chosen people.
Doctrine of Incarnation
• Doctrine of Incarnation : “Jesus Christ is fully God and fully human” (this doctrine is likely
connected to the second person that we will encounter in the diction of the most relevant
character of the religion)
• Mary was a virgin and got pregnant without conception (second person): Many people
debated the nature of the Virgin Mary’s motherhood. Is the Virgin Mary the mother of God?
or the mother of the human?
***SHOWS CRUCIFICATION IMAGE***
Word per word (Paolo Livieri)
Two different crucification (1402-1404) made by two different authors: Donatello & Brunaleski .
They were friends and shared many things together before art and Donatello made the first
crucification art project and this was extremely impressive (the face of Jesus is completely
naked and suffering). Brunaleski then replied with his own with the perfect canon of proportion
and the face of Jesus Christ is a beautiful face, the face of a king.Brunaleski said to Donatello;
“you don’t have a king, you have a peasant”. Donatello replied that yes in fact he was a really
low class human while yours is more a king, an aristocrat. This debate went on and it was
decided, that there was a king and there was a man (purest divine embodiment and also the
human side of the embodiment)
• Born into a family of carpenter in Galilee (northern province of the Roman colony of
• The parents weren’t married at the time Mary (the mother) was pregnant
• Gospels pick up his story when he was thirty (with the exception of an incident that occurred
when he was twelve) — late years of Jesus Christ
• Jesus appears on stage as disciple of a radical desert prophet: John the Baptist
John the Baptist