Elementary Education
Course
EDEE 260
Professor
Paul Kettner
Semester
Winter

Description
Case Study of a Reader Vanessa McKellar 260481915 EDEE 260: Reading Methods Dr. Paul Kettner th April 9 , 2014 Collected Data th February 12 , 2014 Today was the first day meeting with Dom to conduct the case study, and I used it as an introductory session. He was my previous student from my last field experience, so I have gotten to know this student well and he seems to be comfortable with me. He did however seem a little bit shy; I think this is because he is not used to having one-on-one time with me. While eating lunch, I explained to Dom what types of things we would be doing together over the next few weeks (interviews, reading, going to the library, working with words, etc.). He appears to be quite happy to help me with my “homework”. Once we were finished eating, I conducted the first interview: the Interest Inventory (Balajhy & Lipa-Wade, 178). Attached, you will find the answers that Dom gave me and I wrote down for him. Some of the questions needed prompting, or further questioning in order to get a more detailed answer from him. These further questions are written on the interview paper. Next, I completed the Attitude Inventory (Balajhy & Lipa-Wade, 177) with Dom. This needed more of an explanation for him to understand that I wanted him to complete the sentence.Although he was seemingly confused about how to answer the questions at first, Dom was very compliant and eager to complete the interview. When listing his group of friends, Dom asked me to double check to see if I listed all of them.After completing the interview, I asked Dom to choose a book of his choice to read to me. This was to have a sample of his reading as well as to see the type of book he would choose. Dom took several minutes to look through the classroom books, and then went back to his desk to take out his library book. This was an I Spy book. Dom was able to read high frequency words (such as the, a, big, with, etc.) as well as numbers and colours, but had great difficulty with the words of the items we needed to find. To help him through the difficult words, I covered letters of the word to have him sound out the word in smaller parts. This helped Dom a lot. He did however seem to be rushing through the text in order to get to finding the item in the picture.After finishing the book, this concluded our first session together. February 19 , 2014 This session was dedicated to spending time in the library to see which books he was gravitated towards. Upon entering the library, Dom asked if it was always open during lunch hour (it is open to grades 4-5-6 during every lunch). I asked him if he ever took out extra books, or spent time looking around the library, and he replied “No. I just pick two when we come because we have to take out a French and an English one”. I showed Dom the different categories in which the library was organized, and the first section that he stopped to look at and flip through a few book was the non-fiction section. Dom first pulled out Now and Ben, a picture book on the different inventions by Benjamin Franklin. Dom did not read the book, but looked at the pictures. Next he looked at World War II. This time Dom sat on a beanbag chair and flipped through the book, showing me the pictures (they were actual photos), and explaining a great amount of information without needing to read the text. Dom pointed out the different weapons, recognized the Nazi and German flags, explained to me that Hitler was a bad man, and explained what the star on the Jews’clothing was for.After finishing this book, Dom walked around the library again and looked through some of the shelves. The librarian had a display of new books out, and Dom found a Ninja Turtles book. I asked him if we could read this one, and he agreed. We sat on the beanbags and Dom began to sound out the words. He had difficulty with this book, but I put my finger over the larger words to help him sound them out, and then he eventually did this on his own. I noticed that once Dom read the same word more than twice, he was able to recognize it the next time he saw it in the book. Some of these words were: turtle, secret and sewer. He was also able to recognize the names of the four turtles. This concluded our second session. Note: I have been noticing Dom in the hallways as he interacts with his friends, and he typically pretend-fights with guns, and was talking about playing xbox together over the internet. He also seems to be very silly, making strange noises to make his friends laugh. February 26 , 2014 This session was dedicated to reading and working with new reading strategies. I brought Dom a reading tracker as a new tool for him to use. It is a helpful tool made of paper that covers all other sentences except the one that you are reading. This section is in see-through yellow plastic, highlighting the sentence. Dom recognized this tool and said that the resource teacher has had them before. I brought a text I printed from the internet (with no pictures). Dom did not seem enthused to read this. He did however use the reading tracker, and this allowed him to focus on one sentence at a time. Next, I brought a game for us to play. It was tiles filled with letters, or combinations of letters, and we needed to create as many words as we could by putting together the sounds. Dom was eager to play this game, and I told him I had a little prize for him if he could create at least 10 words. Dom took this as a challenge and asked me not to help him. Dom sounded out the letters and sounds out loud, and created the following words: - c-at - t-oy - bl-u-e - bl-ow - s-ee - f-ill - Do-m - ba-t -ch-ar-g (charge) - f-i-sh Dom quickly stopped after ten words and asked if he won. He won two pixie sticks as a prize. I then asked Dom if he could put together tiles for words I listed. We created the words: banana, apple, orange, yellow, book, took, look, feel, peel, seat and beat. Dom did well with these words, but often forgot to put the e on the end of words, as well as ee instead of just one e. I mentioned to Dom that this is an easy and fun game that he could play at home with his Dad and didn’t need the tiles, he could do it with small pieces of paper. This game concluded our third session. March 12 , 2014 This session was dedicated to doing various rhyming activities (taken from the textbook, pg 139-144). First, I asked Dom if he could give me an example of words that rhyme. He gave me “cat, bat, hat”. Next we did the “Rounding Up the Rhymes” activity (Cunningham, p. 139-141). For this activity, we used One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. The sets of rhyming words that Dom found were: 1) star, car and are 2) sad, glad, bad and dad 3) fat and hat 4) there and everywhere 5) run, fun and sun 6) my and by. After writing these on index cards and laying them out on the table, we went through the sets of words to find the rhyming patterns in each word. The first two sets he needed help with, but then was able to do it on his own. We underlined the patterns in marker. Next I wrote out: far, pad, sat, where, bun and fly. I had Dom read these and then place them in with the same rhyming words. He was able to do so for all the words except fly. He was unable to correctly read this word, but after I helped him he was able to put it in the right category. Next I said words out loud for Dom to write down, reminding him to use the trick of the rhyming endings. I had him write the following words: bar, grad, bat, gun and cry. He was able to write all of these correctly except cry (he used a K instead of a C). To conclude this session, I had Dom read the whole book to me. He did incredibly well and was able to predict the words that were coming, knowing that they would rhyme with the previous sentence. I explained to Dom that it is often better to read things out loud in order to hear the rhyming patterns, and that we can use this while writing texts as well. Dom enjoyed this session, and appeared to be very proud of himself for reading and writing all on his own. March 19 , 2014 For my last session, I decided to dedicate it to introducing Dom to books that I thought he would enjoy, and perhaps have him take them out of the library to read on his own. I introduced him to graphic novels. The first one I showed him was Anne Frank. He knew who she was because he had studied her before in class, and was happy to see that there were many pictures with small amounts of words to read. Next, I showed him Captain Underpants. I chose this one for it’s silly humour of a superhero in underpants. The stories are also told largely through the photos with bits of writing. I showed Dom where these books were kept in the library, and that there were several books in the Captain Underpants series. Dom seemed very interested in this book and asked if he could keep it for a while. We checked this book out of the library for him. I suggested that he could read this book with his father, and Dom thought it would be funny to show him. I reminded Dom that he could always take out new books to share with his dad. Next, we found a small pile of comics in the library in a basket. Dom decided that we would read these for the remainder of the time. I asked him to use all the tips and tricks that we have used over the past sessions to read the comic to me. He immediately started reading the text by covering the words with his finger and sliding it across. Dom has gotten significantly better at sounding out words. He has even recognized words in the text that we have previously been working with, such as: there, far, blow and fly. Although he was not able to read everything fluently, I notice a great improvement. He also appears to use the pictures in the book as cues to what he is going to read. Dom re
More Less

Related notes for EDEE 260

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit