English (Arts)
Course
ENGL 226
Professor
Kait Pinder
Semester
Summer

Description
Lecture 7: Henry James and Essay Essay Expectations • Handed in in-class Thursday, May 23rd • Please hand in with a self-addressed, stamped enveloped to ensure you receive the comments on the paper • 1800-2000 words; 6-7 pages double-spaced • comparative • secondary sources are not necessary • thesis must bring together the two authors being considered • Introduction ◦ start with a sentence that gets directly into your topic, not your thesis ▪ start with general claim or observation ▪ i.e. Mark Twain in Pudd'nhead Wilson and William Faulkner in As I Lay Dying use comedic aspects in novels that might otherwise be characterized as tragedies ◦ DO NOT start your introduction with a sentence like: Since the beginning of culture, people have written books about families. • Thesis ◦ makes a clear and detailed argument ◦ must be something that someone could argue against ▪ not description or plot summary ◦ DO NOT use self-referrential statements ANYWHERE IN YOUR ESSAY! ▪ i.e. This paper will argue that Stephen Crane's….. • Body Paragraphs ◦ structure like the response paragraphs you've been writing ◦ include a topic sentence that clearly states the argu
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 226

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit