- Two lines of rhyming verse.
- Some have endstopping, where the pair can encapsulate the meaning.
- There's a tendancy to put the emotional words at the end of the line.
- Use of caesura: notion of a pause in the middle. This creates a balance.
- Michael Drayton introduced the notion of having meaning.
- Couplets have existed for a long time. The basic, most early form consisted of two lines that exist as a
unit and allow for rhythm.
- Heroic couplet: allows the conclusion of a sonnet to be strong/empathetic through the use of iambic
- Short couplet: iambic tetrameter.
- Closed couplet: these are complete in sense and syntax, where open couplets use enjambment.
- The element of emotion, a musical & lyrical element, was